File has changed since last save

When I access the cloud using the desktop app I get this window every now and then.  What does it mean and why is it happening.

I use this between. Two desktops and a few mobil devices.  One desktop is on the same network as the cloud and I have the drive mapped to that computer.  I have used the desktop app here and there on that computer and get this message. The remote desktop uses only the app and also gets this message now and again.  I lose data every time this happens as I use the cloud to store word and excell files which I edit on the fly.

This appears to be a problem caused by not having the WD My Cloud Desktop app running in the background and/or not having an internet connection while working on the project.  I was able to cause the message to pop up if I opened a file, then closed the WD app, saved the file, then oped up the app and tried to reaccess the file.  

Can someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but does the app work by creating a copy of said file when you open it, on your computer locally. Then as you edit and save, it saves it locally, then uploads it to the cloud in the background from this local file.

Is that correct? Your not actually working on the file stored on the cloud, but rather a copy of it?  So if the connection to the cloud is severed, it can’t upload the file, thus creating a difference between your local files and the stored files.  It sees the file on your computer as “newer” and wants to know if it should overwrite the “older” file on the cloud.

So, basically, everytime you open the app on your computer, it logs in and when you click on a file, the app compares the dates between the cloud files and your locally stored files, and ideally looks for them to match or for the file on your computer to be older, meaning it was worked on by another device between the time you last saved it on this computer and opening it this time.

Would that all be correct?

…anyone?

check if your pc or your wd cloud time is correct. make sure they are getting time synced. Also check the file date time to whether it is not set in the future.

Just the guesses that I would have…

Hi,

I tried to reproduce this with the newest version of the WD My Cloud Desktop app and couldn’t. Do you have the newest version of the application that we just released last week?

http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=download&device=mc

If you do, can you let me know the steps you did to corrupt your file?

What I did was:

1. open the file

2. edit/save the file

3. close the app

4. open the file

or

1. open the file on computer A and B

2. edit/save the file on computer A

3. tedit/save the file on computer B

4. the popup dialog you’ve attached appeared.

5. close the application without making any commands

6. open the app

7. open the file

Those situations do not corrupt the file.

You are correct about the file being stored locally and comparing dates. This should NOT corrupt your file.

Regards,

Karen

1 Like

Apparently you made changes to the file after you opened it, If you did then you want to overwrite it or you can save it under a new name and leave the current version as it is. That is why the popup appears, you made changes. You are being  given a chance to Overwrite (save the changes you made), Save as New ( Save the same file and changes you made with a new name) or Cancel without doing either.

Second, what kind of computer and operating system are you using. It looks like you took the photo with a camera using a flash. On windows you should have the snipping tool so you can open and capture a screen shot.

Thank you for your time. If I follow your first steps I will not get the message. Again, it seems to have to do with not having new changes uploaded to the cloud by either shutting down the app before saving or losing Internet connection.

Does the app work in a manner I stated above? File is saved locally then uploaded to cloud?

Edit. I see you addressed my question at the end. So I think this confirms it was just user error and or an intermittent connection

Yea, I tested it in 2 different scenarios.

1. the app is open, the file is open.

2. close the app, the file is open.

3. edit the file

4. open the app

5. click on the file to open.

Result: it updates the file

1. the app is open, the file is open.

2. close the app, the file is open.

3. edit/save the file

4. close the file

5. open the app

6. click on the file to open.

Result: the edit/saved file is NOT saved.

The pop up should appear when:

1. you have the app and file open

2. someone else edits it from somewhere else (another computer)

3. they edit/save

4. you edit/save

Result: Popup appears

Let me know if you see otherwise or have other curruption issues please!

Regards,

Karen