Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Re: update twonkyserver

So you're using a slightly newer version than the instructions above. I assume you substituted the appropriate directory name for all the ones listed as 6.0.32 above?
===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Frequent Advisor
TheEdge

[ Edited ]

The 6.0.34 (linux manual installation) you provided the link to did not work with me either. Use the link provided in this thread to get the 6.0.32. You should get it up and running with that.

Advisor
rcp1981

Yeah, I did the same thing as markvm.  I'm just dragging and dropping with winscp.  Do the files need to stay in the /root folder or can these be deleted?  OR is it the / <root> folder

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

That link YOU used only allowed me to download the i386 build, NOT the PowerPC build. You need the PowerPC build.
===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Advisor
rcp1981

[ Edited ]

I just did the power pc 6.0.32 version and still cant restart it. Should I pull the power cord on the MBL to restart?

Man this is complicated.

BTW I appreciate all the help.

It says "Daemonizing" now and the twonky config is 6.0.32.

I'll check if it streams MKVs tomorrow.

Advisor
Markvm

I downloaded and upgraded to the latest version (6.0.34) which can be downloaded over here:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

Have you also followed the additional steps I have written about?

- between step 6 and 7 the files in the new directory need to have executable rights
- Twonky would not start at step 9, so I used Winscp to upload the files, and after I mod them to 0755 Twonky started up

Advisor
rcp1981

Works great!  Thanks Mark. 

Now is there a way to get the Twonky license for free?

Advisor
Markvm

I don't think so.

Occasional Advisor
handyhand

[ Edited ]

Thank you for everyone who posted the tutorials on how to upgrade the Twonky Server software for the My Book Live drives. I too was very frusterated that My Book Live would not stream video to my Samsung Tv via DLNA. Yes all that is needed is a Twonky software upgrade, and I am happily streaming video now. Please note you will need to puchase a new Twonky Server software license, the trial is 30 days but after that you will need to pay $19.95. I used the free Putty ssh software program using Windows 7 to upgrade my drive, and thought I should share my steps here, its very straightforward, and I updated the links to the newest Twonky software version 6.0.34 as of 07/29/11.

All credit goes out to Dav M and Gordon who initially started the tutorials and most of the steps from mine are cut and pasted from Dav M's. Thanks man!

Before proceeding make sure your WD My Book Live firmware is updated to the latest version.

1) In your web browser go to your WD My Book Live Local Network Interface at: YOUR MYBOOK LIVE IP ADDRESS/UI (ie:192.168.0.???/UI

2) Go to "Settings"

3) Go to "Utilities"

4) Go to "Import/Export Current Configuration", then click "Save Config File".

5) Open saved file with a text editor ie: notepad.

6) In the text file look for "ssh_enable="disabled" and change to "ssh_enable="enabled" and save.

7) Go back to the Import/Export Current Configuration and import the file you just edited. This now enables SSH on your drive for the Putty program to work.

8) Download free Putty SSH software at: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

9) Enter the My Book Live IP address (ie:192.168.0.???) in the Host Name box in Putty.

10) The username is: root password is: welc0me (the O in welcome is the number ZERO)

11) Change current directory to /usr/local :

cd /usr/local/

12) Backup twonky5 :

mv twonkymedia-5 twonky5old

13) Create a new folder for twonky5 (I keep the original name, so you don't have to edit param file) :

mkdir twonkymedia-5

14) Go in it :

cd twonkymedia-5

15) Download twonky 6.0.34 :

wget http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

16) Unzip it after download :

unzip twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

17) Rename script of WD Live to avoid it rewrite twonky param every startup :

mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old

18) Reboot :

reboot

19) After reboot you can config twonky with http://yourip:9000/config

20) Enjoy !

All process (you can copy/paste it in ssh) :

cd /usr/local/

mv twonkymedia-5 twonky5old

mkdir twonkymedia-5

cd twonkymedia-5

wget http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

unzip twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old

reboot

Occasional Visitor
GregoryK

Thanks for the instructions. I cannot run the unzip command from the Putty shell - it seems that the command does not exist on the WD drive. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD