Occasional Advisor
Blade3609

update twonkyserver

The twonky server currently on the mybook live is 5.1.9, i saw there is a far newer version which is 6.0.30 , how do i upgrade it?

Honored Contributor
richUK

Re: update twonkyserver

[ Edited ]

I believe that it comes with firmware, so I think you will have to wait for a firmware update. Other than that its the latest is there any particular reason why you want it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop.
Occasional Visitor
dz12345

I just got a MyBook Live, and twonky 5.1.19 does not play many .mp4 and .mkv that are playing fine with twonky 6.0.28 I have running on my laptop. When does WD plan to release the firmware upgrade?

Honored Contributor
richUK

dz12345 wrote:

When does WD plan to release the firmware upgrade?

They never say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop.
Advisor
javajay

Anyone know of any unoffical ways to upgrade Twonky on the WD MyBook Live.  In my conversations with Twonky, they too told me about the updated Twonky server, but the list of upgrade links they send me did not include Western Digital, nor were there any instrucctions on how to perform such an upgrade anyway.

My trouble has been the ability to view most video files on my DNLA enabled BluRay and all research is pointing toward Twonky being the primary issue.

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

What BluRay player are you using, and what type of files are you trying to stream?  (Format / File Extension etc)

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Advisor
javajay

Product Details:
-Sony BluRay BDP-s370
-Western Digital MyBook Live 1TB  (MyBookLive 01.02.03 : MioNet 4.3.1.12 : Twonky 5.1.9)

Summary:
 My Sony BlueRay BDP-S370 is DNLA certified to play external files.  I was successful playing a number of video files, including .m4v when I had a Western Digital MyBook plugged into the BlueRay via USB.

I then purchased a Western Digital MyBook Live to be able to access files wirelessly.  The MyBook Live has the Twonky Media Manager on it.  The BluRay player finds the MyBook Live just fine and I'm able to play music files and view photo files.  But when I try to play video files, I receive an error message of "There is no playable file".  A handful of MPEG files have been recognized, but most have not, which add an additional layer of mystery to the situation.  Why would some be recognized while some are not.  Instructions for the Sony BDP-S370 do support mpeg and mp4 (proved by when they worked fine with the USB connected MyBook).

Western Digitial has also communicated that have no intent on updating Twonky on their devices and are fine to be selling a product with an outdated third party software that may make their hardware not perform as advertised.

Staff
WDTony

I believe there was a similar thread here about this Sony Blu-Ray player. If you look carefully at the specs, they don't support all that many formats. Do a search on these forums and you'll find your answer.

And we put specific versions of the DLNA server on for a reason. Not all versions work that well. We looked at the 6.0 version, but there were just too many issues with it at the time.

Tony

Occasional Advisor
ggartrelle

[ Edited ]

WD Customer Service/Staff has been AWFUL addressing this issue up until this point.  All they simply need to do is supply a firmware upgrade with TwonkyMedia Server >= 6.0.30.  I was planning to return my MyBook Live device, but I thought I would try to upgrade the TwonkyMedia Server on my own first.  I successfully upgraded from 5.1.9 to 6.0.32 today using the following version:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.32/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.32.zip

I selected the PowerPC version since that's the machine hardware name that is returned when I run the uname command on my device:

MyBookLive:~# uname -a
Linux MyBookLive 2.6.32.11-svn21605 #1 Fri Oct 15 17:13:23 PDT 2010 ppc GNU/Linux

MyBookLive:~# uname -m
ppc

To get this up and running only really involved a few simple steps (assuming you are familiar with navigating Linux):

1. Download TwonkyMedia Server 6.0.32
2. Copy the downloaded package to the /root directory on your MyBook Live device (e.g., using scp)
3. Unzip the downloaded package in the /root directory
4. Create the following folder: /usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32 (NOTE: the original installed TwonkyMedia Server 5.1.9 is installed in /usr/local/twonkymedia-5)
5. Copy the following files and directories from /root to /usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32:

• Linux-HowTo.txt
  • RevisionHistory
  • cgi-bin/
  • plugins/
  • radio.m3u
  • resources/
  • twonkymedia
  • twonkymedia.sh (you don't really need this)
  • twonkymediaserver

6. Copy the following files from /usr/local/twonkymedia-5 to /usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32:

• bg_trans
  • start_bgtrans.sh
  • twonkymedia-server-default.ini
  • twonkymedia-server-default.ini.orig

7. Copy the file /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh to /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh.orig to create a backup copy
8. *VERY IMPORTANT STEP* Edit the /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh file and set twonky_dir=/usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32
9. Restart the TwonkyMedia Server: /etc/init.d/twonky restart

You should be able to verify that TwonkyMedia Server 6.0.32 is up and running at this point by pointing your browser to the TwonkyMedia Server config page (http://<your_ip>:9000/config) or by going to the MyBook Live UI and viewing the settings page for TwonkyMedia (Settings > Media > Twonky > Status).  Either page should show the TwonkyMedia Server version as 6.0.32.

If you ever need to switch back to 5.1.9 for any reason (which I have no idea why you would want to), just edit the share-param.sh file and change the twoky_dir setting back to its original value (set in /usr/local/sbin/share-param.orig) and restart Twonky (/etc/init.d/twonky restart).

This version of TwonkyMedia Server requires a license after the 30-day trial period ends, but at least you have that amount of time to evaluate it. I downloaded this version because I had problems streaming MKV video files from my MyBook Live device to my Samsung LED TV. I verified that this version resolves that issue.

Hope this helps!

Alias: Gordon.Gartrelle

Advisor
Cromwell

Nice try! Is there any way to transfer existing 5.1.9 license to 6.0.32 twonky?

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD