Update twonkyserver

Reboot of the MBL does affect how Twonky works.  I’ve found that I have to do a reboot of MBL within 3 hrs prior to getting access from my AVR & listen to music for longer than 90 mins; or I can just disconnect the cat 5 cable from the router & then reconnect after the led goes into the “red”.

Believe that MBL has a problem with the wait/listen part of the OS or Apache2.  Haven’t see any reports from others tho.

Anyway using SSH to send a reboot is much quicker than doing it from the Dashboard since one can exit when the terminal program is disconnected from MBL instead of waiting “forever” with the Dashboard running with the “do not close…”

@ schnaggels:

The resources\devicedb\Philips\Philips Renderer TV.xml does not exist for Twonky 5.1.9 (only 6.x).

Is there a different location or value that can be changed alternatively to DLNANO → DLNA15 for Twonky 5.1.9?

I would like to enable FF and Rewind without updating to 6.x!

TXH in advance for any help.

Hello!

I’ve just installed Twonky 7.0.5 special on my WDMyBookLive and connected it to my Sony Bravia NX.

TV plays music and shows pictures but doesn’t play ANY video. Niether .wmv, nor .avi, nor .mpeg, nor .mkv. When I navigate video folders using the TV, every video (avi, mkv, wmv) is displayed as mpeg. When I press play button, video opens and there is a black screen and nothing happens. TV doesn’t hang when trying to play a video.

I’ve tried reinstalling Twonky but it gave no result.

Help me please!!!

P.S. web interface of MBL doesn’t show any version of twonky running but mybooklive:9000 is working and my TV sees it.

@eyuppie

Yes, you should find a folder called resources in twonkeymedia-5. There you find a file called clients.db. Open this file with pico and search for the Philips entry (the profile you are using in Twonky)  and change from DLNAO to DLNA15. Now you should be able to FF and REW most of the files (but not all).

Hi, If I upgrade from 6.0.39 to version 7, all I have to do is follow the steps as I upgraded from 5 to 6? Thanks…

FUrthermore, what is the 7.05 version I have to download?

Thx

@jgcamil

Link to download Twonky 7 archive:  Twonky 7.0.5 Special for PowerPC architecture

I installed Twonky 7 using manual from  MBL Wiki Forum

1. Connect to ssh using your MBL IP(login: root, password: welc0me)

2. Stop Twonky:

/etc/init.d/twonky stop

1. Create Twonky 7 directory:

mkdir /usr/local/twonky

1. Go in it :

cd /usr/local/twonky

1. Download actual version:

wget http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/7.0.5-Special/twonky-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-special-7.0.5.zip

1. Unzip it:

unzip twonky-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-special-7.0.5.zip

1. Create directory use by twonky to store temp files:

mkdir /var/twonky

1. Make executable for starting twonky

chmod a+x twonky.sh

1. start twonky

./twonky.sh start

At this time you should have Twonky 7 working, go to http://yourip:9000 and change what you need (change share folder, client, language, enter your key if you have, etc…).

If you reboot your My Book, older twonky version start.

If all is working (make test before this step):

1. Change WD script to avoid the changement of Twonky parameters (share change to /) everytime you reboot :

mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old

1. Backup old Twonky startup

mv /etc/init.d/twonky /etc/init.d/twonky.old

1. Make twonky.old nonexecutable:

chmod a-x twonky.old

1. Copy new startup

cp /usr/local/twonky/twonky.sh /etc/init.d/twonky

That’s all !

1 Like

Will try it tonite… thanks for the heads up!

Hope this solves my streaming issues with my oppo bdp 93 and MBL…

Regards,

jg

Well,

It seems it is working properly so far.

Im rescannig the library as we speak, I’ve been able to stream some the available videos and music.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Regards,

jg

What about Licence for 7.0.5? If I get one, where do I copy it?

Hello.

I’ve upgraded directly from V5 to V7 Special. Everything is fine and Twonky 7 is running OK with MP3 and photos, but I can’t play normal video files formats on my Sony Bravia. It seems that nothing works with the Bravias… If any guy knows the solution, I will appreciate it so much.

I’ve purchased the Twonky 7 license, a bargain, but I can’t see videos; only the TS format files.

Thanks

Hi,

after installing the version 7, my Samsung Smart TV disconnects constantly.

I did downgrade to version 6.0.39 (back to the passages) and everything has returned to work.

If you can help someone, here are the steps I did:

login ssh (ssh root@youripaddress - password: welc0me)

/etc/init.d/twonky stop

cd /usr/local/twonkymedia-5

wget http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.39/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.39.zip

unzip twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.39.zip (overwrite all)

mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh

mv /etc/init.d/twonky.old /etc/init.d/twonky

reboot

hey thanks for posting such quick and easy instructions for upgrading twonky to v6. i have been able to successfully upgrade my twonky server to 6.0.39 on my WD MBL but I still CANNOT view any mkv files on my samsung tv.

i have rebooted by MBL and twonky server. in the twonky and MBL web interface i can see that the version has changed to 6.0.38 but i continue to receive the “fill format not support error” everytime i try to open a MKV.

i then installed the v7 of twonky on my windows PC and can comfortably stream all fole formats from my PC however since all my media files are on the MBL i really need to be able to stream my mkvs from there. any idea what could be going on? I have a samsung D6600 which i able to see all files on my MBL so i know that the TV and twonky on MBL are talkking.

pls help!

• Go in Twonky Setting -Click on “Media Receivers” under Advanced  Setup (Media Receivers will display devices that the Media Server recognizes on the network. The Mac address, type of device, and IP address will be displayed.) - Select the Device and the type in “Samsung Smart TV”. - Save - Restart Server and try

Well from that interface i see a dropdown of all the twonky supported devices. i don’t have the ability to enter any text hut i selected Samsung tv. i doesn’t help. I don’t get how almost everyone here is reporting success after upgrading to v6. For me it doesn’t open any more files than v5.

is there config chg that needs to be done after upgrading to 6.0.39? am i missing something? shall i update my MBL firmware and then re-try? That cant have anything to do with it right?

No need to change any config or anything. I suggest you upgrade the firmware and then retry with the method I posted earier for 6.0.39 in page 23. Unfortunately my MBL crashed and sent out for replacement hence I cannot test and provide a completely v7 instruction or test everything.

alright… will do that… shall upgrade my MBL firmware. what prevented me from doing this so far was the fear of losing the feature pack and the applications it provided… any idea if feature pack is supported by the latest MBL firmware?

no idea. I don’t use that.

I dont know about the featurepack but this new firmware disabled mysql interface inside PHP.  (PHP still works but it will not talk to mysql server any more)  What this means is that it can still act as web server but creating the site with database powered CMS such as wordpress, drupal, Joomra etc., is out of reach.    I know this device  was not meant for such task but it nevertheless it is less exciting.