Update twonkyserver

How do you get subtitles to show for MKVs of foreign movies?  I see the subtitles on my computer but when I transfer it to the MBL and play it on my samsung led there’s no subtitles.  It works when I convert MKV to MPEG but that’s a hassle.

Anyone know how to upgrade to twonky 6 via a mac?

hi Markvm,

would please upload the file to another file server? i can’t download it from http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip , i think that file is gone.

thanks

It is still there as of a few minutes ago.

yes, i just download it … hope it will solved the problem…

Hi Toretto.

Are you saying that WD have updates for our My Book World Edition? Firmaware update or Twonky Server update to 6.0 versions? I’ve checked the firmware updates and nothing pops up. And it’s impossible to update the Twonky 5.1.9 to the last version. If you have updates on the road, please spread the word!!! 

Please keep us updated on that matter. Make your best to solve the Twonky issues please. We need it!

Regards

hi,

need help :cry: 

i justupgraded to 6.0.34 from 5.1.9, but, no file found in the twonky media.

Version: 6.0.34 
Cache memory: 510 KB
Last database change: 01:42:53
Music tracks: 0
Photos: 0
Videos: 0

Trial period
Days left: 30
Server uptime: 0 days, 0:01:53 hours
Server build date: Jun 23 2011 p0
Server restart pending: no

Network Interfaces: 127.0.0.1

Is anyone will to help someone who has no experience with linux upgrade twonky via a mac?

deleted message

Hello everyone,

I successfully did the upgrade following the instructions here (thank you!), but still have the same problem that it can’t find any video (.avi, VOB, etc.) saying ‘no playable file’.  Music works fine.  I have checked the share, which is set to ‘all’, and ‘media’ in dashboard shows the correct number of videos.

Using MBL and a Sony BX57 (s570) blue ray player.

Many thanks for any ideas where to try next.

Hi guys.

Great to see you’ve had success upgrading Twonky the My Book Live.

Do these same instructions work for the My Book World Edition (white light)?

Thanks!

T

Did the upgrade to 6.0.34 following Handyhands instructions.
Initially all was fine, now 3 folders show up in Twonky>Video:
nfs
DataVolume
share (or similar)
and only then the Video sub-folders show

Did everything possible (even quick format of the HDD) with Twonky but always getting those folders back, a bit of a nuisance. Same folder structure on Twonky and on my Samsung Smart TV.

Some of my mkv’s are full HD 1920x1080 and didn’t play without constant data stream interruptions over my wired (10/100) home network so I used Format Factory to create 1280x720 avi files, works for me.

I’m back to a regular external 2TB WD Elements HDD connected to the Lynksys E4200 router USB port.

1 Like

I have just started back on this project, after a long vacation from it.

I have sucessfully upgraded to 6.0.32 and applied the license Key for the Twonky server suite that I mistakenly bought for the PC, trying to get the features on the My Book Live to work before I found about about it’s incompatibility issues with the DLNA standard

I have now upgraded my system to include a Netgear DLNA compliant gateway, DLNA Compliant Sony Bravia TV, Sony 570 BluRay Disc player.

Still no luck on the Bravia or Blue Ray player and Video files.  I have ASF, AVI, FLV, MPEG2, MP4,  WMV… none work.

But, I had some videos that I had converted using an old Ads Showbiz 2 application that came on a PC I bought in 2005 that play perfectly.

Short of taking a chance and purchasing showbiz and tossing another hundred dollar bil in this hole, doe anyone know of any piece of softwear available to the consumer that will make the Twonky Server (updated) play on Sony Devices?

I also have a Media Center PC connected to the Bravia, and it works flawlessly, whenever it doesn’t hide the mouse pointer.

I can attach a drive to the Netgear Gateway, and make my own NAS that is DLNA compliant, but then I have this other 1TB MBL paperweight.  It plays music and shows pictures fine.  It almost works as well as the twonky server on my android phone.  The Satellite receiver has a 1TB drive attached to it also.   I have no doubt that I can run the registerred Twonky server on the Media Center PC, and let it run 24/7 and get closer to what I was hoping for, but really would like to see the MBL do what it was advertised to.

Is anyone aware of any device that can stream video reliably from a MBL running twonky to any DLNA compliant Device?

Maybe I am just getting old.  I started out in the mid 70s whan Personal Computers were large, expensive, and saved to cassette tapes.  A Sugart floppy drive was around $400.00 and held 180 KB.  I have always been able to get hardware and software to do what they were advertised to do.  Sometimes I had to underhaul the setup to make it over come translation issues, but I could make it work.  This, I can’t make work. 

I have around 200 video clips that work on Windows Media center.  The network also has a Wii, and XBMC attached, As well as an entry level Magnavox BluRay that is network enabled.  Everything plays music, and shows Pictures.

Video; not so much.

Any Ideas that don’t involve starting over with a different choice in DLNA compliant NAS devices???

Hello all,

I’ve recently purchasing an NAS WD MBL and like many users here I faced problems playing video files (m2ts) through DLNA with Sony Home Theater Blu-Ray player. I’ve updated Twonky media server to version 6.0.32 like ggartrelle  says some times ago and with no results. But Twonky just released new version 6.0.37 and followed what ggartrelle posts I’ve succesfully updated Twonky to latest version 6.0.37 and … surprise! everything works so fine now.

So, for other ppls with similar problems I advise to update Twonky to version 6.0.37: http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.37/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.37.zip

good luck.

EP.

The instruction provided by handyhand are best and most comprehensive. I am just repeating them with a tiny addition and with updated link to TWONKY. P.S. I am using 6.0.37 and all my problems are gone except generation of thumbnails.

1. In your web browser go to your WD My Book Live Local Network Interface at: YOUR MYBOOK LIVE IP ADDRESS/UI (ie: Http://192.168.0.xxx/UI))

2. Go to “Settings”

3. Go to “Utilities”

4. Go to “Import/Export Current Configuration”, then click “Save Config File”.

5. Open saved file with a text editor ie: notepad.

6. In the text file look for "ssh_enable=“disabled” and change to "ssh_enable=“enabled” and save.

7. Go back to the Import/Export Current Configuration and import the file you just edited. This now enables SSH on your drive for the Putty program to work.

8. To to Setting->Media and turn off TWONKY Service (uncheck enable)

9. Download free Putty SSH software at: Http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

10. Enter the My Book Live IP address (ie:192.168.0.xxx) in the Host Name box in Putty.

11. The username is: root password is: welc0me (the O in welcome is the number ZERO)

12. Just copy and paste the following commands in the terminal:

cd /usr/local/
mv twonkymedia-5 twonky5old
mkdir twonkymedia-5
cd twonkymedia-5
wget Http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.37/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.37.zip
unzip twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.37.zip
mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old
reboot

1. After reboot enable the TWONKY service from Settings->Media. You can also confining twenty with LIVE IP ADDRESS:9000 i.e… Http://192.168.0.xxx:9000/

2. If you have a license then put it there to register the 30 day trial version. I can verify that V serial works.

3. Enjoy !

To WD staffs here, while I do understand that releasing a new firmware with a new software version is actually quite a task, considering that we expect a product to work out of the box and not come with a faulty or crippled software, WD should have tallest released a BETA firmware for the people having problem with TWONKY.

Hi all,

So, I followed earlier instructions for v. 6,0,32 and cound not get the list of media files after the upgrade.However, thr MBL was working.

Today I followed yesterday’s instructions by jumper1 by copy/pasting the text provided to putty and now, when I go to the MBL UI, none of the options in the menu work and all I get is the message:

/usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh: line 5: command not found

Any clues? The UI for the MBL (2 TB) is totally useless now… I could use some help here.

Thanks!

Maybe you can paste the content of the file /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh here? The problem most probably is that you following two different instructions. The one i posted was kinda easier.

If you backed up your file like the instruction suggested then you should have the original config file.

Try these command and see if they help:

cp /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh  /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh.mod

cp /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh.orig /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh 

(overwrite if necessary)

reboot

hope it works.

Thanks for following up

This is the file:

#!/bin/sh

οΏ½ 2010 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.

###########################################

share setup files

trustees=/etc/trustees.conf
sambaOverallShare=/etc/samba/overall_share
hostsConfig=/etc/hosts
networkConfig=/etc/network/interfaces
dnsConfig=/etc/resolv.conf
dhclientConfig=/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
ntpConfig=/etc/default/ntpdate
smbConfig=/etc/samba/smb.conf
remoteAccessConfig=/etc/remote_access.conf
itunesConfig=/etc/forked-daapd.conf
upgrade_link=/tmp/fw_upgrade_link

userConfig=/etc/passwd
passwdConfig=/etc/shadow
smbpasswdConfig=/etc/samba/smbpasswd

ownerUid=999
adminDefaultAlias=“admin-dfalias-wd”

3G required for F/W update

fwUpdateSpace=“3000000”

fileTally=/var/local/nas_file_tally
twonky_dir=/usr/local/twonkymedia-5

bash scripts logging for debugging use… currently not all scripts are instrumented.

SYSTEM_SCRIPTS_LOG=“/var/log/wdscripts.log”

I probably did something nasty with the original config file and erased it (stupid me).

So, any chances of saving the game?

Thanks again

Your file actually looks OK. What did you use to modify it?? I think your problem might be a windows/Linux CR-LF issue. Trying opening ur file in VI and remove any extra places and saving it.

The content of my file is as follows (amost the same as urs except time service):

#!/bin/sh

� 2010 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.

share setup files

trustees=/etc/trustees.conf
sambaOverallShare=/etc/samba/overall_share
hostsConfig=/etc/hosts
networkConfig=/etc/network/interfaces
dnsConfig=/etc/resolv.conf
dhclientConfig=/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
remoteAccessConfig=/etc/remote_access.conf
itunesConfig=/etc/forked-daapd.conf
upgrade_link=/tmp/fw_upgrade_link

userConfig=/etc/passwd
passwdConfig=/etc/shadow
smbpasswdConfig=/etc/samba/smbpasswd

ownerUid=999
adminDefaultAlias=“admin-dfalias-wd”

3G required for F/W update

fwUpdateSpace=“3000000”

fileTally=/var/local/nas_file_tally
twonky_dir=/usr/local/twonkymedia-5

bash scripts logging for debugging use… currently not all scripts are instrumented.

SYSTEM_SCRIPTS_LOG=“/var/log/wdscripts.log”

Hi

I used WinSCP and clicked on the “edit” option on the pane of the navigator. Then it used Notepad by default.

Trying the CR-LF idea now.

Thanks

EDIT: Opened the file with Notepad, copied and pasted on UltraEdit and there is no reduntant character.