Update twonkyserver

Thanks. I did everything but when I typed the restart command I got this error:

/usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.34$ /etc/init.d/twonky restart
PID file /var/run/mediaserver.pid not found, stopping server anyway…
twonkymedia: no process killed

TwonkyMedia server not found.

How  should I restart it?

Sounds like you missed step 8 or mistyped something.

I’m pretty sure I did #8.

I got the file from here, the 6.0.34 linux manual installation

http://www.twonky.com/support/downloads.aspx

Is that the right one?

And u dont use the share-param.sh.orig right?  Thats just a backup on my computer.

No, look at step 8 again. That file is not included in the Twonky distribution, it’s a file on the MBL.

I did that.  Just making sure I used the right file. Here’s what it looks like: (All I did was change the last number from 5 to 6.0.34) Do you know another way to restart?

#!/bin/sh

© 2010 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.

###########################################

share setup files

###########################################
trustees=/etc/trustees.conf
sambaOverallShare=/etc/samba/overall_share
hostsConfig=/etc/hosts
networkConfig=/etc/network/interfaces
dnsConfig=/etc/resolv.conf
dhclientConfig=/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
ntpConfig=/etc/default/ntpdate
smbConfig=/etc/samba/smb.conf
remoteAccessConfig=/etc/remote_access.conf
itunesConfig=/etc/forked-daapd.conf

userConfig=/etc/passwd
passwdConfig=/etc/shadow
smbpasswdConfig=/etc/samba/smbpasswd

ownerUid=999
adminDefaultAlias=“admin-dfalias-wd”

3G required for F/W update

fwUpdateSpace=“3000000”

fileTally=/var/local/nas_file_tally
twonky_dir=/usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.34

So you’re using a slightly newer version than the instructions above. I assume you substituted the appropriate directory name for all the ones listed as 6.0.32 above?

The 6.0.34 (linux manual installation) you provided the link to did not work with me either. Use the link provided in this thread to get the 6.0.32. You should get it up and running with that.

Yeah, I did the same thing as markvm.  I’m just dragging and dropping with winscp.  Do the files need to stay in the /root folder or can these be deleted?  OR is it the / folder

That link YOU used only allowed me to download the i386 build, NOT the PowerPC build. You need the PowerPC build.

I just did the power pc 6.0.32 version and still cant restart it. Should I pull the power cord on the MBL to restart?

Man this is complicated.

BTW I appreciate all the help.

It says “Daemonizing” now and the twonky config is 6.0.32.

I’ll check if it streams MKVs tomorrow.

I downloaded and upgraded to the latest version (6.0.34) which can be downloaded over here:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

Have you also followed the additional steps I have written about?

• between step 6 and 7 the files in the new directory need to have executable rights
  • Twonky would not start at step 9, so I used Winscp to upload the files, and after I mod them to 0755 Twonky started up
1 Like

Works great!  Thanks Mark. 

Now is there a way to get the Twonky license for free?

I don’t think so.

Thank you for everyone who posted the tutorials on how to upgrade the Twonky Server software for the My Book Live drives. I too was very frusterated that My Book Live would not stream video to my Samsung Tv via DLNA. Yes all that is needed is a Twonky software upgrade, and I am happily streaming video now. Please note you will need to puchase a new Twonky Server software license, the trial is 30 days but after that you will need to pay $19.95. I used the free Putty ssh software program using Windows 7 to upgrade my drive, and thought I should share my steps here, its very straightforward, and I updated the links to the newest Twonky software version 6.0.34 as of 07/29/11.

All credit goes out to Dav M and Gordon who initially started the tutorials and most of the steps from mine are cut and pasted from Dav M’s. Thanks man!

Before proceeding make sure your WD My Book Live firmware is updated to the latest version.

1. In your web browser go to your WD My Book Live Local Network Interface at: YOUR MYBOOK LIVE IP ADDRESS/UI (ie:192.168.0.???/UI

2. Go to “Settings”

3. Go to “Utilities”

4. Go to “Import/Export Current Configuration”, then click “Save Config File”.

5. Open saved file with a text editor ie: notepad.

6. In the text file look for "ssh_enable=“disabled” and change to "ssh_enable=“enabled” and save.

7. Go back to the Import/Export Current Configuration and import the file you just edited. This now enables SSH on your drive for the Putty program to work.

8. Download free Putty SSH software at: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

9. Enter the My Book Live IP address (ie:192.168.0.???) in the Host Name box in Putty.

10. The username is: root password is: welc0me (the O in welcome is the number ZERO)

11. Change current directory to /usr/local :

cd /usr/local/

1. Backup twonky5 :

mv twonkymedia-5 twonky5old

1. Create a new folder for twonky5 (I keep the original name, so you don’t have to edit param file) :

mkdir twonkymedia-5

1. Go in it :

cd twonkymedia-5

1. Download twonky 6.0.34 :

wget http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

1. Unzip it after download :

unzip twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip

1. Rename script of WD Live to avoid it rewrite twonky param every startup :

mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old

1. Reboot :

reboot

1. After reboot you can config twonky with http://yourip:9000/config

2. Enjoy !

All process (you can copy/paste it in ssh) :

cd /usr/local/

mv twonkymedia-5 twonky5old

mkdir twonkymedia-5

cd twonkymedia-5

wget http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.34/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip 

unzip twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.34.zip 

mv /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh /usr/local/sbin/writeTwonkyContentDir.sh.old

reboot

3 Likes

Thanks for the instructions. I cannot run the unzip command from the Putty shell - it seems that the command does not exist on the WD drive. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Thanks for the instructions - i think i got everything except that there is a last error when i execute the restart command; the pop-up says

Error changing directory to “Daemonizing…”.

Cannot get real path  for “/root/Daemonizing…”.

No such file or directory.

Error code: 2

Error message from server: No such file

Request code: 16

Have you seen this error before? 

Although, I checked my Twonky status and it did update to 6.0.34… Bad news is, still would not stream MKV files to my TV. 

Any information and help you can send would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi all

Nice to be here. I have few questions for you:

• according to this site: http://www.twonky.com/buy_current.aspx is it really needed to buy new license? Does “free update” includes MBL? 

• what are real diferences beetwen Twonky 5 and 6 for regular user? I mean those which are visible right away?

I am considering upgrade, but I don’t see any benefits so far. Of course apart obvious - having new version.

Cheers

I’ve just followed all these instructions and am very happy with how Twonky works now, and that my Sony BluRay player now picks it up.

Unfortunately, now the mybook live UI software doesn’t seem to be working.  When I go to the IP address, it used to redirect to /UI but now I just get a 404.  Anyone experienced this, or have any ideas how to fix it please?

Have you checked that the MyBookLive IP address for the UI is correct? Mine changed after doing the update. Fix is to just modify the IP of the UI link…

yeah tried that thanks - I can access Twonky at 192.168.0.4:9000 but removing the port gives me a 404