Update twonkyserver

WD Customer Service/Staff has been AWFUL addressing this issue up until this point.  All they simply need to do is supply a firmware upgrade with TwonkyMedia Server >= 6.0.30.  I was planning to return my MyBook Live device, but I thought I would try to upgrade the TwonkyMedia Server on my own first.  I successfully upgraded from 5.1.9 to 6.0.32 today using the following version:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.32/twonkymedia-powerpc-glibc-2.2.5-6.0.32.zip

I selected the PowerPC version since that’s the machine hardware name that is returned when I run the uname command on my device:

MyBookLive:~# uname -a
Linux MyBookLive 2.6.32.11-svn21605 #1 Fri Oct 15 17:13:23 PDT 2010 ppc GNU/Linux

MyBookLive:~# uname -m
ppc

To get this up and running only really involved a few simple steps (assuming you are familiar with navigating Linux):

1. Download TwonkyMedia Server 6.0.32
  2. Copy the downloaded package to the /root directory on your MyBook Live device (e.g., using scp)
  3. Unzip the downloaded package in the /root directory
  4. Create the following folder: /usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32 (NOTE: the original installed TwonkyMedia Server 5.1.9 is installed in /usr/local/twonkymedia-5)
  5. Copy the following files and directories from /root to /usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32:
  • Linux-HowTo.txt
  • RevisionHistory
  • cgi-bin/
  • plugins/
  • radio.m3u
  • resources/
  • twonkymedia
  • twonkymedia.sh (you don’t really need this)
  • twonkymediaserver
  1. Copy the following files from /usr/local/twonkymedia-5 to /usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32:
  • bg_trans
  • start_bgtrans.sh
  • twonkymedia-server-default.ini
  • twonkymedia-server-default.ini.orig
  1. Copy the file /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh to /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh.orig to create a backup copy
  2. *VERY IMPORTANT STEP * Edit the /usr/local/sbin/share-param.sh file and set twonky_dir=/usr/local/twonkymedia-6.0.32
  3. Restart the TwonkyMedia Server: /etc/init.d/twonky restart

You should be able to verify that TwonkyMedia Server 6.0.32 is up and running at this point by pointing your browser to the TwonkyMedia Server config page ( http://<your_ip>:9000/config) or by going to the MyBook Live UI and viewing the settings page for TwonkyMedia (Settings > Media > Twonky > Status).  Either page should show the TwonkyMedia Server version as 6.0.32.

If you ever need to switch back to 5.1.9 for any reason (which I have no idea why you would want to), just edit the share-param.sh file and change the twoky_dir setting back to its original value (set in /usr/local/sbin/share-param.orig) and restart Twonky (/etc/init.d/twonky restart).

This version of TwonkyMedia Server requires a license after the 30-day trial period ends, but at least you have that amount of time to evaluate it. I downloaded this version because I had problems streaming MKV video files from my MyBook Live device to my Samsung LED TV. I verified that this version resolves that issue.

Hope this helps!

Alias: Gordon.Gartrelle

4 Likes