Twonky and windows media player

Twonky is working well as a remote library to stream to WMP on my PCs, and to my xbox.  However, in Windows Media Player it does something weird to the album display.  For instance, consider a soundtrack album - it’s one album, but the artists are different for each song.  When I view this as a local library in WMP it shows up as ONE album.  However, when I view it from Twonky it is broken into a seperate album for each contributing artist.  This greatly expands the display and makes it harder to search and find the album I want.

Any ideas on how to get MBL/Twonky/WMP to display an album like this the same way it does if the album is in a local library?

Thanks!

Joe

Hmmm.  Twonky shouldn’t be doing that… unless you’re having it sort by ARTIST…

I have quite a few compilation albums that are correctly displayed…

It might be the ID3 tags that are in the file – some folks have had issues with that.   

Go get MP3Tag (free software) and examine the ID3 tags that are in the MP3 to see if they’re what you expect.

If they ARE, go ahead and just re-save them (MP3 will “correct” the ID3 version information) and see if that helps.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Hmmm.  Twonky shouldn’t be doing that… unless you’re having it sort by ARTIST…

I have quite a few compilation albums that are correctly displayed…

It might be the ID3 tags that are in the file – some folks have had issues with that.   

Go get MP3Tag (free software) and examine the ID3 tags that are in the MP3 to see if they’re what you expect.

If they ARE, go ahead and just re-save them (MP3 will “correct” the ID3 version information) and see if that helps.

it seems to be an issue w/wmp and how it uses “album artist” vs. “contributing artist” to sort.  for the albums that aren’t showing up as a single album, like sound tracks and compilations, the album artists is “various” and the contributing artist is the actual performer, which is different for each track.  for local albums wmp sorts by album artist and so sound tracks show up as a single album, but for the remote libraries like twonky, even tho it says it’s sorting by album artist, it’s really using contributing artist.  i actually had mp3tag and so i edited an album where i didn’t care about keeping the contributing artist info, and made them all the same, and it displayed correctly.  sadly i don’t want to do this to a lot of my albums, as i kind of like knowing the contributing artist.  bottom line, tho, i think it’s a wmp issue, not twonky.  maybe this is the kick i finally need to stop using this program.  i’m not real happy w/wmp 12 anyway - they seem to be going the apple route and dumbing it down for the user.  any suggestions on a good replacement?  (preferrably free … !)