Setting up permissions

Hi, I’m new to MyBookLive. I would like to set up folders with restricted access to one or more users, rather than emailing lists of files within folders, but can’t see how to do this. Is it possible? Thanks in advance

Yes, consult the manual on how to create users and private shares.

Thanks, I’ve done that. However I set up a test user with a different email address to check it all before I go live with other users, and follow the instructions in the email (ie, click on the link and sign in) it asks for a “Network Drive Password” which is not the user password or my oroginal admin password. As I haven’t created any other passwords I don’t know what it is asking for. Can anyone enlighten me? thanks in advance

rdl9000 wrote:

Thanks, I’ve done that. However I set up a test user with a different email address to check it all before I go live with other users, and follow the instructions in the email (ie, click on the link and sign in) it asks for a “Network Drive Password” which is not the user password or my oroginal admin password. As I haven’t created any other passwords I don’t know what it is asking for. Can anyone enlighten me? thanks in advance

Network Drive Password = user’s password assigned by you.

Thanks for clarifying this. I now have got past the immediate network password, but the nest step, clicking on the mybooklive icon, takes me to a Java site web page, not to mybooklive. Tested on three different test users and results are the same for all. Mighty puzzled now. Checked my system for malware and everything comes up clean, no other mystery behaviour on the PC. Does anyone have any ideas?

rdl9000 wrote:

Thanks for clarifying this. I now have got past the immediate network password, but the nest step, clicking on the mybooklive icon, takes me to a Java site web page, not to mybooklive. Tested on three different test users and results are the same for all. Mighty puzzled now. Checked my system for malware and everything comes up clean, no other mystery behaviour on the PC. Does anyone have any ideas?

Java is required to browse/mount the shares. Its what WD uses for their remote access.

Yes, I thought that would be the case, but I already have Java installed. It might help if some kind of explanation was offered onscreen when something is required - maybe a different version of Java. It isn’t especially helpful really, as it isn’t telling me exactly what it wants, and just landing on a java web page doesn’t quite do it. What do I need to do - install Java over again? Thanks

What kind of PC?  (Mac / Windows?)

What browser?

What version of Java do you have installed?

Do you have Java enabled within your Browser settings?

If you go to the Oracle Java test site manually, ( http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre), does it work?

Might as well just post itt since it’s related:

I have created a share with a password but it still shows up on the xbox and in VLC on iOS? How do I get it to be private?

Those boxes are accessing it via DLNA.

You need to turn Media Serving off for those shares.

That works, but it’s a pain because it means I can’t even access the media files through the WD iOS app.

The WD iOS app doesn’t use DLNA, so I’m not sure what you mean.