Rsync backup w/o Safepoint

I have a new router that does not support share network discovery. So when I try to create a Safepoint via the UI it never sees the USB connected drive on the router. I can mount the USB via SMB (\router-IP\folder) in Windows but that does me no good for the MBL safepoint.

I want to run an rsync via ssh that syncs all the files/folders on the MBL to the USB. Can anyone help?

well, if you want to run rsync from MBL to wherever the USB HD is connected or mounted, you will need to make the destitnation a SSH and/or rsync server in order to connect.

In a few words, if you can SSH from MBL to the destination, you should be able to run rsync. It all depens how you want to run it.

But there are different options, google for them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

good luck

I understand. Here’s what the mount command shows when running a Safepoint backup:

nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
//192.168.1.2/USB_Storage on /media/WDSAFE/d830c7bfbd5ad243506b0c3c52388433 type cifs (rw)

So I guess it would work.

Here’s my solution:

1. mkdir /media/Mybackup

2. create shell script to run in cron:

• mount.cifs //IPaddr_of_USB/Sharename/folder_on_USB /media/Mybackup -o pass=ROOTPASSWORD
  • sleep 6
  • cp /dev/null /root/backup.log
  • sleep 2
  • rsync -rtDvH --delete --log-file /root/backup.log --exclude-from /etc/nas/NSPT/exclude.txt /shares/ /media/Mybackup/folder_on_USB >/dev/null
  • sleep 6
  • umount /media/Mybackup

This is SO MUCH faster than the Safepoint function.

There’s also a way to send an email alert when done. Its more complicated but if interested I can post.