Router/firewall blocking twonky?

Hi all,

I have an MBL 2TB and cable (Ziggo) - its routers a bit confusing to me and I think its blocking twonky, although it does allow me to view, open, use files etc using explore whether wired or not on the LAN, it wont allow twonky. I have 2 DLNA devices and they both cant see it, I have tried, updating firmware, resetting in both ways, patching to WD media and back again, even upgraded Twonky (i know, the warranty) but still no joy.

I figure it must be the router but its firewall screen is different to other posts (as follows). This is in the Port Forwarding section, done in the menu by creating what it calls an “IPv4”

Internal IP 192.168.178.80 (the static IP I set MBL to after noting that DHCP was using 64 “CPEs”)

Start port: 80

End port: 443

External IP: XX.XX.XX.XX (actually my real IP according to a webpage that told me what it is)

Start port: 8080

End port: 8443

UDP/TCP: BOTH

Enabled: Yes

Or is it possibly another problem on the MBL itself? I also have a Buffalo NAS and it worked fine as soon as I plugged it in. Any suggestions are very much appreciated - thanks

Router firewalls, almost invariably, do NOTHING to local traffic.   The firewall & forwarding configurations are only with respect to the “outside” of the network trying to get in.

Are you trying to access Twonky from outside your own network?   If so, your ports are incorrect.  Twonky uses only port 9000, and you’re forwarding a range of almost 700 ports total.

1 Like

lol, after 2 weeks fighting this and minutes after starting a new thread, I have figured out what it is. I reply to my own post in case some poor bugger with the same problem ends up searching for it - In this particular case, the cable guy did it.

After wiring the router (and btw the TV cable service in my dining room, cheers) he set up the basic connection with devices (I hadnt plugged my NAS in at that point and didnt trust him to do it anyway. So he somehow must had a problem connecting something and he DISABLED WPA2 ! I was wandering through some obscure menu and even with my newbie knowledge thought that wasnt right, flipped it on and BOOM - up pops the MBL.

Great piece of kit and until this issue (which was not the MBLs fault, sorry) I was one of the many quiet happy customers and back I go to being just that, right now :)

Thanks Tony - see above :wink:

(Will get on that port thing too - thanks again)