Recovering deleted files

Help,

I am running My booklive disk and windows 7 on my PC. I have placed all my Email files in a public share in the My Book.

When I delete a file from de My book using the Windows exploreron the PC the deleted file does not appear in the waste basket of the user account on the PC. What happened to the file on the My Book and is there a way to recover this???

Why doen’t the My book  have a waste basket??? I use this portable disk as a REAL disk on my system and now I have lost my Email folder!!!

PLease Help

Regards,

ROB

Some might say, here he goes again, but yeah, I will… :smiley:

No idea if it is possible to recover deleted files, however, one of the best usages for MBL is backups.

Here is a link easy to read, see the section under Backups.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-33088_39-57556308/digital-storage-basics-part-3-backup-vs-redundancy/

bobbyvan1948 wrote:

When I delete a file from de My book using the Windows exploreron the PC the deleted file does not appear in the waste basket of the user account on the PC. 

Windows doesn’t support Recycle Bin on network attached storage (NAS) 

That’s why when you select to DELETE a file from a NAS, you are presented with the warning

permdel.png

When it says “permanently,” it means it.

Files that are on disks that have Recycle Bin enabled have a different warning:

recycle.png

If you hope to retrieve any of the data, SHUT DOWN the NAS and DO NOT power it up again.

You can investigate data recovery services to recover the data for you, or search the web for file recovery software that specifically works with EXT4-based linux file systems.

A few other points…

The MBL is not a “portable disk.”  It’s not meant to be frequently moved which might shorten its life.

And as Shabuboy has advised, you will want to investigate proper backups for such critical data.

I’ve pretty much concluded that the concept of the recycle bin has done more harm than good. It seems like people use it as a temp folder or even a way to move files around, always assuming they’ll have a second chance. It doesn’t help that the confirmation dialog box for recycling and permanent deletion look almost identical.