Problem creating MyBook Live safepoint backup

I have a MyBook Live 2TB unit and a MyBook Live 3TB unit, both on the same LAN. After I updated both units to the 2.00.* version of the firmware, I attempted to do a safepoint backup of my 2TB unit (containing a bit more than a TB of data) onto the new 3TB unit. I let it run for 2+ days – and then, as it seemed like it was about to end, I got a popup message

“Your safepoint could not be updated successfully due to a failed request. Please try updating your safepoint again.”

I’ve done this several times and each time it chugs away for awhile and then fails again.

(It may not have helped things, but this morning when I saw there was a new firmware update, I installed that on both MyBooks (between “failed requests”), but it hasn’t helped).

Any thoughts on how I can make this complete successfully? I’d *really* like to not have to start over again from scratch. Thanks!

Craig8128

You probably shouldn’t have upgraded the firmware between these updates.

When I see “Your safepoint could not be updated successfully”, it sounds like it completed at least once. Did you set a schedule? 

1 Like

Hi Tony – no, I didn’t set a schedule. I do not believe I ever got a “successful completion” message.

*sigh* I guess I’ll try it again and let it run for two or three days and see what happens. The one that I can think that might make a difference is that I was adding stuff to the 2TB source drive while the backup was in process. I was led to believe that rsync could handle this? It’s diffiicult-to-impossible to not touch the drive for 48 hours.

Craig8128

We have tested the scenario of adding data while a safepoint is in progress, so that should not be an issue.

I sent you a PM to send me your log files.

We have tested the scenario of adding data while a safepoint is in progress, so that should not be an issue.

I sent you a PM to send me your log files.

I had a similar problem with my Safepoint backup.  I found in the /var/log/wdnal.log that the error was cause by a file name “Icon?” (Yes, with a ? in the filename…).  I delete the file and the backup work fine after.

Good luck!

This should not happen. Are you on the latest firmware?

Hi Tony,

My NAS is at firmware 2.00.35, I will update soon…

I found another problem with SafePoint:  When the backup is successfully complete, the target mount point is still active, even after I reboot the NAS.  That will prevent my target PC to go in sleep mode.

MarioC

Not sure why you saw that issue. I checked with the team and they said that that should not happen (the file type Icon?).

I will check on the mount point not allowing your computer to go to sleep. What OS/Service pack are you running? What type of computer?

Tony,

There is a problem with some filename, I have no problem reproducing this error by putting back the “Icon?” file on MyBookLive and re-starting the Safepoint.  Note: I think that the ? is in fact a “carriage return” ( Icon#015 )

For my target share, it is a WD 2TB USB 2.0 connect on a Dell 9200 Windows 7 (32) / SP1

MarioC,

I checked with the team. Just because you have a mounted share on your computer should not be a reason that your computer does not go to sleep. Are you leaving the Browser open with our Dashboard open inside of it? if so, we do have activity that may keep the computer alive. Try closing the browser.

I will check again on this file.

Looks like we don’t look for carriage returns in file name. That is a pretty unusual situation. Will report this out to the team.

Tony,

Nothing is running on this PC, it is just used as a file server.

On my WD NAS, I umount the target share and ten minutes after my PC was sleeping like a baby!

I realy don’t think it is a good practice to keep this mount point active.

You can check to see exactly what is keeping it from sleeping by executing:

powercfg -energy -output c:\temp\data.html

from an ADMINISTRATOR-RIGHTS execution of cmd.exe.

Make sure the path you specify in the command exists.

It’s a long report, but it’ll give you just about everything you need to know about WHAT is preventing S3 state.