Need FTP help

Hey everyone,

just got my mbl and set it up. everything seems to be working, its great getting everything onto the network. I have been trying to get FTP working and have run into some problems. I forwarded the HDs ip to port 21. I went into filezilla and used passive mode and put my public IP and username/password and I got this error. any help is appreciated.

Response: 230 Login successful.

Command: SYST

Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8

Command: FEAT

Response: 211-Features:

Response: EPRT

Response: EPSV

Response: MDTM

Response: PASV

Response: REST STREAM

Response: SIZE

Response: TVFS

Response: UTF8

Response: 211 End

Command: OPTS UTF8 ON

Response: 200 Always in UTF8 mode.

Command: PWD

Response: 257 “/”

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 Switching to Binary mode.

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,8,19,199).

Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.

Command: LIST

Error: Connection timed out

Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Hey

Just wanted to let anyone who is having the same problem know I got it working.

There were a couple things I did…but one thing for sure needed to be done

Most importantly, dont try to ftp from your own LAN…i thought I would test it out on a separate network so I tethered to my Nexus One and filezilla worked

I also used a static NAT for the local IP and forwarded port 21

I THINK you have a problem on your router.

I assume you’re trying to FTP from OUTSIDE your network?   Meaning a “remote connection?”

If so, your router is not functioning as an APPLICATION LEVEL GATEWAY, or ALG.

The My Book Live is (CORRECTLY) responding with a command to enter PASSIVE mode, and telling the client to use the IP address 192.168.1.8 for that connection.

192.168.1.8 cannot be routed on the internet, so your ROUTER is supposed to translate that IP address to ITS OWN address which is visible to the rest of the world, and then forward the FTP packets that come to it back to the server.

What kind of router do you have?