My time machine backs up but only goes back s a few hours

I have been getting error messages since I started using Time Machine, and after contacting Apple and going through all the topics here I found one solution. 

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Unable-to-use-Time-machine-Wirelessly-I-got-the-solution/td-p/303980

I couldn´t however go past step 3:

"1. click on go

1. click on connect to server

2. on the address bar type in AFP://ipaddress"

So I logged in with samba as I always do and did the rest of the steps from there. 

smb://my live book name

but when my time machine runs it only goes as far back as my latest backup although my time machine share on my WDLB shows 500GB being used out of 600GB. Intriguingly on Mac osx Mavericks it shows me that I still have 600GB available although I set a 600GB limit. 

What I have been doing is using the drive wirelessly and replacing it every time it crashes. But when I do that it doesn’t seem to recognize the older backups. I’m a bit peed off cause this means that all my backups from when my macbook was free of stuff is gone or inaccessible. I guess I can just reinstall the whole system when I need to do that. 

But now what I want is a reliable disk Image on my drive. How do I get that and how do I verify it? Will I have to delete the files that are on the Time Machine now?

Regards and sorry for not placing this on the above linked topic but the reply option was not available for some reason…

Hi, if the old files from previous backups are replaceable, I recommend to delete the old Time Machine backup and start a new one from zero. 

Hi Ichigo, 

Can you please explain why I should delete the old files?  

Is there no way of making these files reusable? 

What am I doing wrong that makes the time machine not work as its supposed to with mavericks?

Best regards,

Mirko