Internet transfer rate mybook live 2tb

Hello al,

I don’t understand the mybook transfer rates. First off, sending files from my PC to the NAS through my home network is extremely slow, between 0,8 and 2,5 MB/s. My pc is connected to my router by WiFi, and the Mybook with an ethernet cable.

when I try to upload files from my laptop to my NAS trhough the WD cloud system, the initial transfer rate is somewhere around 12 to 16 MB/s, wich is much faster than my home 1000 Mb network speed. A big portion of the files is transfered pretty fast, but then it hangs at a random percentage. It almost looks like the file partially cached somewhere.

What I don’t understand is why the cloud transfer speed is faster then the home network speed, wich is ridiculous. the current upload speed for the network I’m currently logged in to is max 2 MB/s.

my home network transfer rate should be capped at 1000 Mb/s, so 125 MB/s, while the cloud transfer rate should be capped by the server of WD, which we all know practically never exceeds like 5 MB/s. Not WD specifically, but what site/remote server allows uploadspeeds higher then like 5 MB/s?

while I made this topic, my transfer is still stuck while it indicates there’re like 30 sec remaining. But actually it’s been like that for at least an hour.

to avoid confusion, I understand the difference between MB/s and Mb/s. I took that in acount wile writing this topic.

so…what’s up with these weird transfer rates?

2.5 MB/s over WiFi is about right.   That equates to about 30-40 megabits per second.

The behavior of the Cloud copy is normal, and you’re correct, the file is cached in a temporary WebDAV cache before actually copying it out over the internet.   This is the way Microsoft does it, and yes, it’s quite annoying.