Going crazy and also worried!

Hi, i new to this site (discussion) and i’m no IT tech head.

I am using a macbook (white one) 10.6.8 all good.

A while ago I purchased a mybook live to back up from any computer on the network.

To be honest, can’t remember the install process at all. Al I know is that it must have worked because I used to be able to use this drive (found it all a little confusing) but it showed up in finder under shared items and i could send files to it.

I could never understand how to log in as registered user as the computer always asked for a password to the local host and for the life of me i have not a clue what it is asking for (not for lack of trying to find out). SO I always signed in as a guest and had no problems.

Now i can no longer log in as a guest or registerd user however the drive IS showing up in my finder.

I have gone down the download instalation software rd and i am confronted with a message to up grade my firmware (what ever that means). Anyway, this process all seems to go well until I am asked to make sure i have backups of the data on the drive THAT I CAN"T ACCESS.

3 questions:

1. how do i make a backup of the files that already sit on my NAS prior to fideling with software and settings etc

2.  Whar does it mean “password for local host”?

1. Why can the drive be working one minute and not the next?

Don’t think I’ve ever waffled on so much in a discussion forum but This drive is pissing me off and i have important footage already stored in the drive - hence that’s why I’m worried as well as mad!!

nibbs

Hello,

On this case I recommend you to contact support, they should be able to assist you on this.

Contact WD

Apologie for late reply. I’m still going nuts. now i cant even see the drive in finder. I heard there was an issue with the my book live NAS?? Is this true?