Flashing green light - reset didn't stop it

I have a 3tb mybook live which I’m running with Mac OS 10.7.5. I was having lots of problems with it dropping the connection and had a constantly flashing green light . The drive hadn’t been connected to or altered in any way for 5 days so it wasn’t doing anything.

I use the drive for my backup my last timemachine backup was 5 days ago. I have to do manually because the drive isn’t reliable enough to do a rolling automatic backup. 

I reset the drive using the reset button on the back. I can now see the drive via my mac but now the password has reset and I can’t log in as a registered user, only as a guest. I have tried the default user and password admin and combinations of uppercase etc but no deal.

Even when the drive was connecting properly I would often hear it grinding away at 11pm even though nothing was connected and the drive hadn’t been accessed for days. I don’t know what that’s about but it concerns me that the drive is so active as it is my main backup - if the drive is overworking I can see it will fail sooner…

I’m getting so frustrated with this equipment and I’m starting to wish I had coughed up the extra for a timecapsule.

please someone help.

Hi, if possible try using another Ethernet cable, the My Book Live front light will blink Green when it is being accessed by a program or device on your network, or when the My Book is indexing the files. You can try setting a static IP address for the My Book to see if that helps make the connection more stable. Check page 64 of the manual for more information. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705065.pdf#page=70