First time setup with xbox extender

Apologies if this has been asked before but I am posting from work and don’t have time to read through lots of posts. I am getting a 2tb network drive today to replace an external hard drive I have connected to my Xbox. On the Xbox I have three folders set up, video, music and pictures. I simply drop the various items into relevant folder and they are available. I have read some comments that state I should not install the western digital software. Can someone please advise me if I need to install it or will my Xbox simply find the drive and I can install my three folders like before. Is their software needed to allow me to access the drive when out of the house. Thanks for any tips just now, I will read up on this fully once I get the drive but just keen to get some ideas. Thanks again

Hello, there is really no software that you need to install on the PC or the My Book Live to make it work with your Xbox, just add the Xbox on the My Book Live media player list. You can check page 113 of the manual for more information. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf#page=118

Thank you.

I have managed to get it set up and the folders are visible on the xbox/ Put some albums into the music folder and when i view them in xbox as Albums, all of the albums show down the right hand side, however when i then click on an album. the folder is empty. If i click on artist or songs then every song shows up. Need to do some digging to find how the folder structure works on the xbox as, when i view music on my phone or laptop all of the albums show up and i can view songs on each one individually, Thanks again