Extreme slow remote stream

Hello,

for android device I use the wd2go app which works okay. But when I’m at work I’d like to remotely acces my music files on the MBL with my windows laptop. I acces them using www.wd2go.com. The files are openen in explorer. When I want to play a single song, it takes somewhere around 5 minutes to load, let alone a entire playlist. in other words, I can’t normally play music with remote acces.

why is the remote music stream so incredibly slow, while 3G stream with the wd2go apps works fine?

it doesn’t even look like stream. I looks more like the mp3 is being downloaded at incredible low rate. But then again, when I want to replay the same mp3, same reload time. I’m being forced to watch/listen the clip on youtube cause my download/stream from my own cloud is so **bleep** slow, what gives? Why is the mybook so **bleep** slow??

Actually both the WD2Go app and WD2Go.com are very slow. I have FiOS 50/25 MB and it times out when streaming.

No, you just have to be patient, and we can blame Microsoft for that.

Here’s a little background on the subject:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/My-Book-Live-WD2Go-WebDav-Issue-FAT/td-p/522027/highlight/true/page/2

whsbuss wrote:

Actually both the WD2Go app and WD2Go.com are very slow. I have FiOS 50/25 MB and it times out when streaming.

I have FiOS 40/40 and don’t have problems as long as wherever I happen to be has fast internet…  Even in places with SLOW internet, I’ve NEVER had a “timeout.”  Just bouts of repeated buffering.

I’ve read the link you posted. 

So basicly, when streaming a file from a remote MBL using a desktop it’s not actually being streamed. Rather it’s being downloaded in a temp/cache completely and then it can be played…?

so a big file (2Gig) will take considerable amount of time, depending on the type of internet connection (mine is a 54mbit/s) to play on a remote desktop?

I’m thinking it depends on the file type.

In that thread, I mentioned that I launched an episode of Big Bang Theory (an M4V file) which streamed to Windows Media Player without having to finish the whole download.   The file started playing within a minute.

Unfortunately, I can’t repeat the test any longer because our QoS policies changed on the internet, and streaming video is highly controlled.

I prefer to stream from my iPhone via the Wd2Go App, and dont use WebDAV unless I have to due to the same issue. For transferring large files, FTP is more robust…

I hope WD launch a Music steaming App to stream music from drives remotely. 

Well things are slow via my FiOS service. Since I also have FiOS TV I have to keep the ActionTec router in the loop. Here’s my setup:

ActionTec router → connected via ethernet to Netgear R6300 router (set in AP mode).

Connected to the R6300 is the MBL and Win7 PC.

So this provides me 1GB ethernet connectivity between my PC and Mac (wirelessly) and speeds are fine. However I get slow remote speeds. MBL uses static IP from the ActionTec.

Any suggestions?

No, no suggestions. My setup is pretty similar to yours. I use netgear gig switches for all connectivity, and also have the good’ol ActionTec MI-424WR router.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
No, no suggestions. My setup is pretty similar to yours. I use netgear gig switches for all connectivity, and also have the good’ol ActionTec MI-424WR router.

Well thanks anyway.

Okay so this is the case:

• when accesing the Mybook remote with a pc, windows will download the files and direct stream from the drive isn’t possible.

• I enabled FTP and set it up with filezilla, download rate is slightly faster but still, this is no stream.

so my question is, is there a PC application that allows you to stream music from the mybook through eiter FTP or web? The android app manages to stream the music, so there should be a PC possibilty for it aswell right?