Bug in /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh that logging directory /var/log/fsck does not exist

Don’t ask how I stumbled in on this, I don’t know myself.  But looking at the “ps -ef” output I saw logger sitting there.  I was suspecting a hard drive issue so I was wondering what /var/log/fsck/checkfs was so I went to look.  The directory /var/log/fsck did not exist.  I created it and the file showed up.  Then logger disappeared from the process space.  I don’t know if the directory ever existed as I’m not that much of a hack.  But it looks like this directory does not get created.  That seems to be a bug.  The file checkfs now contains:
Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
Mon Apr  1 09:09:18 2013

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2

Mon Apr  1 09:09:18 2013

I am also running the web-UI diagnostic (which seems to be hung at 10% for the last half hour) so perhaps fsck is run from that.  Don’t know, just know that the log directory didn’t exist.  Perhaps you should look into it.

Hi,

I recommend that you run a factory restore on the drive. Please note that this will delete all data on the drive.

BAD ADVICE.  Don’t do it.

While I don’t have a “stuck” logger process, the OP is correct.  The script is wrong, it’s the same on mine.

Yep looks like a legit bug… DON’T DO the factory restore