Backup MBL to external drive

I’ve successfully installed MBL 2TB as a network and using it as the main data storage. It’s plugged into my Wifi router rather than to the actual computer. I’ve uploaded the new release Firmware version 2. 01.06 to allow backing up of the contents of My Book LIve to an external disk drive.

I’ve got a 1TB Seagate external drive connected via USB to my laptop, which is what I’d like to use as the back up to MBL. However, when I use MBL Dashboard - go to Backups - go to My Book Live Backups tab - then click create - then discover… only the laptop is discovered and not the external drive. I’ve pressed refresh discoveries, but still can’t see it.

How can I force the MBL to discover the external drive, so the external drive can do automatic backups of the MBL?

The Target of a Safepoint has to be a network Share. Unless you can create a share for the USB drive, it won’t recognize it.

I checked on Windows 7. If you right click on the USB drive letter in Explorer, click on properties, then Sharing. Click on Advanced Sharing, then check Share this folder. The drive should show up on the list of shares on your PC.

Thanks! I saw your draft response rather than the final response, which simply referred to creating a share for the USB drive but I didn’t see the instructions which followed on how to do this. But it was enough of a hint to get me started…

I’m sure your simple steps could have worked on their own, but if anyone else has done it and is still having problems creating the USB share drive, I found serendiptee’s response on another forum useful.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-246730.html

Delighted to say my MBL is backing up to an external USB hard drive successfully.

DOH!!!  My smaller capacity LaCIE NAD has a USB port on it!  Can plug in a bare t!b drive into that and use as a back-up media.  Question…  Why does the MyBook Live not have a USB port?  :neutral_face:> * * *
WDTony wrote:

The Target of a Safepoint has to be a network Share. Unless you can create a share for the USB drive, it won’t recognize it.

I checked on Windows 7. If you right click on the USB drive letter in Explorer, click on properties, then Sharing. Click on Advanced Sharing, then check Share this folder. The drive should show up on the list of shares on your PC.

Hi WDTony,

Q1. You mentioned that "The Target of a Safepoint has to be a network Share. "  I am moving everything from a My Book World 1 TB (MBW) to a My Book Live 3 TB (MBL).  After that, can I use the MBW as the Target of a Safepoint?  

Q2. On the MBL, I have set it up as a Time Machine for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, also the backup location for a few Windows 7 based notebook running Acronis Home.  These backup datastores (esp. the Time Machines’) do not need a backup, but the MBL, as a network data store, has about 1.5 TB needing backup.  How do I set up the MBW (and if needed, a 1TB extended USB drive) to back up the MBL?

Thanks in advance.