Will Not complete the "Short" Disgnostic

hi - I just upgraded to the new firmware (I suspect I am a bit behind on the firmware update) - the version I have is listed below.  The problem is that when I run the “Short” dignostic utility, it runs right up to 90% complete and sits and sits and sits at 90%.  The green light on the drive is blinking at a fairly steady pace; I’m nost sure if I need to let it run longer (I let it run once at 90% for 15 minutes) but the note on the “Short” diagnotic says it should take just a few minute (3 or 4) to complete the scan.  The dashboard says the drive is operating fine (is green) and I can access the files.  I just loaded approimately 4.5 gig worth of music onto it this weekend and the drive seems to be unusually busy even after I stopped (that was before the firmware upgrade I completed today (19Feb).  Any ideas / suggestions - Thanks in advance.

MyBookLive 02.43.03-022 : Core F/W

U824942 wrote:

hi - I just upgraded to the new firmware (I suspect I am a bit behind on the firmware update) - the version I have is listed below.  The problem is that when I run the “Short” dignostic utility, it runs right up to 90% complete and sits and sits and sits at 90%.  The green light on the drive is blinking at a fairly steady pace; I’m nost sure if I need to let it run longer (I let it run once at 90% for 15 minutes) but the note on the “Short” diagnotic says it should take just a few minute (3 or 4) to complete the scan.  The dashboard says the drive is operating fine (is green) and I can access the files.  I just loaded approimately 4.5 gig worth of music onto it this weekend and the drive seems to be unusually busy even after I stopped (that was before the firmware upgrade I completed today (19Feb).  Any ideas / suggestions - Thanks in advance.

MyBookLive 02.43.03-022 : Core F/W

I’m not running the latest firmware by any means. In fact I’m still stuck in the past with Ver 02.10.09-124 that was originally released on 17 Nov 2011. However a long time ago I observed the apparent “stuck at 90%” problem when doing a “Short” diagnostic. I say apparent because the “Short” diagnostic will eventually complete. The problem is that at around the 90% mark that diagnostic seems to be waiting for Media Crawler to complete an indexing update. Seems like the diagnostic wants a clean bill of health from Media Crawler before reporting a successful diagnostic. With lots of new files this could take a long time. The trick is to disable the Media Crawler indexing service before doing the diagnostic. Once the Media Crawler is disabled, then the diagnostic should fly past the 90% mark.

There are two ways that I know of to disable the Media Crawler:

First (the hard way):  In file “/CacheVolume/.mediacrawler/mediacrawler.pdat” alter “crawler_status_flag” from “enable” to “disable”.

Second (the easy way - recommended): Disable “Remote Access” just before doing the diagnostic. This will disable Media Crawler and set that flag to “disable”. After the diagnostic you can turn Remote Access back on (and probably get lots of disk thrashing) as the Media Crwler resumes doing its thing.

Hope that this “old” information is still applicable to your new firmware - no gurantees though. 

After I posted the message below I decided to run the 'Long" diagnostic and when i woke up this morning, I recieved an error message that the diagnostic had timed out.  Thinking that William H might be onto something with the Indexing issue, I reran the “Short” and headed off to the shower. Upon my return, the diagnostic had completed and I was presented with a “Diagnostic Complete” message.  I guess that the indexing may indeed take quite a bit of time and that running the long diagnostic allowed the harddrive to complete most of the indexing before timing out (?).  This was the first time I ran the diagnostic; I also shut off the remote access feature - I haven’t needed it so I haven’t used it yet, and I shut off the Twonky Media since I’m just using the hard drive as a hard drive.  That may have also had something to do with the disgnostic completeing.  I’ll rerun it again with the features turned on tonight.

Now I have to see if the Hard drive is sleeping when it should - the green light was blinking away this morning when I woke up (computer was off and everyone in the house was asleep)…Thanks for the help William H, much appreciated!