Why do I need a password to view public share

Im trying to organise my mybooklive so that I dont need a password to open the public share folder on my own network at home

This is needed as I want to add the devices IP address (//192.168.1.82/Public) to an external media device that will read videos/music etc.

At the moment if I have no users set up on the device, this folder opens without the need to ask for a password.  If I set any user up, when I then open the public folder it then asks for a user name and password.

Is there a workaround for this, and how would I write an ip address url with the username and password in, if needed

Much confused.  Can someone help

Marc

Hello dinkybluebug, currently there is no supported option to setup a password for the Public folder. You can create password protected shares for the users you create from the My Book Live Dashboard, but this should have no effect on the Public folder. From where are you trying to access the Public folder? If you are trying to access it from a Windows PC, check the link below for the steps to use the WD Discovery tool. 

How to install WD Discovery on Windows