Whining high-pitched sound while idling?

Anyone else experienced this?  When the drive is in stand-by (blue light) it keeps small, but audible high-pitch whine or buzz, which stops as soon as the drive starts up. It’s quite annoying because i sleep in the same room and i can eliminate all other sound by turning the devices off. I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this and is it a “feature” or is my unit faulty. I live in Europe (230v/50hz) and I dont know if it has any meaning but i think it’s worth mentioning because of the difference in electricity distribution model.

Many thanks beforehand.

I don’t have such problem with MBL.

Also Europe and 230V/50Hz.

Mine makes a short high pitched buzzing sound whenever it wakes up from sleep. Otherwise it’s very silent. I think mine is the spin-up sound but maybe it’s coming from the power adapter. None of my internal or external drives make a sound like that when they spin-up.

It would be nice to know what is the official reply on this. Also, I think you should try to observe your unit carefully because the noise is very, very quiet but nevertheless really annoying, I can hear it while im working at my desk, on my left side I have only my Macbook pro running and it is quiet.

I would contact our support group and talk to them about this. This is not  normal. I have mine on my desk next to me and can barely hear it even if I put my ear up to the device.

How do I contact them? What you said confirms it’s faulty because if I put my ear next to it its rather loud already.

Shogutora wrote:

How do I contact them? What you said confirms it’s faulty because if I put my ear next to it its rather loud already.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Tony,

What about the short (1 sec) high pitch buzzing sound I am getting whenever the unit wakes up from sleep? Is that normal? Otherwise the unit is very quiet both idling and under load. Thanks,