Where should I save my files to???

• Public?

• Smartware or 

• Time Machine??

There is simply no instruction manuals to brief u thru

Qn 2

How do I share the files??

• I triedclick the “ëmail” but it only send me to the internet

Also…y we cannot see the thumbnail of the photos in the WD Cloud…make our selection of the photos difficult.

Any advise for me???

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

This forum is intended for users of the My Book Live (like yourself) to share issues/solutions or to ask for help. There are also a few “mods” who work for Western Digital who also browse the forum joining in with issues etc where they can. 

You may not get a reply straight away to your message as nobody looks at this forum 24/7, and as such you may need to wait a few days for the right user with the right knowledge to reply to you. 

In answers to your various posts:

Most answers can be found in this comprehensive manual:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf

WD supply you with a quick start manual in the box your My Book Live came in, but point you to the full manual if you need it (it is over 140 pages in length!)

Question 1 - The 3 folders you mentioned (Public, Smartware & Time Machine) are pre-defined “shares” that every user has access to. To create your own shares etc, then follow the steps in page 79 of the manual below. 

For more information regarding the Smartware/Time Machine “shares”, please see page 22 and 39 of the manual.

Question 2 - When you share a file, it will only attach a link to the file you are sharing and will NOT attach the actual file. The link can then be pasted into a browser, and the browser will then download that file from your My Book Live. If you want to edit the files etc from another PC (using Remote Access), then I suggest you read section 11 of the manual on how to set this up. 

Question 3  - It appears you are using the WD “My Cloud” App. Within this App, all content is just listed (like you allude to). There is however, another app called “WD Photos” availabe for iOS/Android etc. It is through this app that you will be able to view thumbnails etc of the photos you have stored.  Like the WD “My Cloud” App, you can also share files (via email/Facebook/Twitter etc) from this version too. 

Again, this is mentioned in section 11 of the manual. 

I hope this helps? :slight_smile:

Lightingman2003