What's going on with our WD My Book Live Drives?

What’s going on with our WD My Book Live Drives?

1. I notice the activity LED lamp on the front of the drive doesn’t even illuminate, even when I’m accessing the drive or transfer of media from my network-connected PC is in process.

2. When attempting to access the drive via this Windows 7 based, wireless network connected PC, I get this strange series of “vertically-mounted” black warning panels in a Western Digital window, each of which reads:

NETWORK LINK DOWN

The network link is down or has become intermittent. Please check your network connection.

1. If I click an “X” to the right, inside each of these redundant (repeating) panels, which number almost into the teens, before the annoying panels are gone from being displayed

I tried inserting a pin in the recessed “reset button” on the back of the drive, effected a RESET, but the drive activity LED still does not work during a file access, or file transfer!

What’s going on here? How can I correct this, and please, how did the problem likely occur in the first place (so I’ll know how to prevent it from reoccurring)?

NOTE:

I am about to install the newest iteration of WD SMARTWARE, and I have now just installed the newest iteration of firmware – but that didn’t bring the My Book Live activity LED back into operation.

Any useful suggestions would be appreciated; be nice…

I’m new here.

:wink:

Sounds like your LED burnt out.   Not uncommon on (especially older) MBL’s.

The “Link is down…” means exactly that.    It’s telling you that the ethernet connection went down repeatedly.

Hold the *phone!* (That’s a humorous colloquialism):

LED’s have an extremely long MTBF (meantime before failure). Is Western Digital warning its registered customers about this?

I am stunned over the notion that I’m going to have to seek manufacturer warranty service, over a jive LED blowing out (which should be nearly impossible for such an underutilized drive. I hardly use it at all.

I pray WD Warranty service is nearly painless this time around. Well – here goes…

8-0

WDuser_ wrote:

LED’s have an extremely long MTBF (meantime before failure).

Well, yeah, but a MEAN is not the same as a MINIMUM.   It means half of them will fail before the MTBF, and half after.  Some shorter, some longer.

WDuser_ wrote:

Is Western Digital warning its registered customers about this?

Why should they?   Does the manufacturer of your computer tell you that some power supplies (or any other component) might fail sooner than others?