[WIP] Installing SubSonic on the MBL

Hi guys! Have you moved forward with this?

As I think I wrote before, and removed it from the MBLD and went on to install it in a Windows PC. THEN I found out another awful problem of Subsonic… As soon as the computer is restarted, goes to sleep, power cut, whatever, the library empties itself and the clients would see an empty library until I manually go to the server page through a browser and press “Refresh”! :crying_cat_face:

After some researching, I found it was the “expected behavior” from the app. I also started a thread in the official forum about this, and all they say is that the computer should never disconnect from the NAS, for whatever reason, because if it does then the app would empty the library. I think that’s quite unacceptable, to expect 100% connection and if not, empty the library! Why is there then a scanning schedule, it SS would empty the library whenever it wants!

ANYWAY… that issue is slowly getting me back to think of installing it directly on the NAS and parting away with video streaming and acceptable browser speed. :frowning:

The only brick between me and doing that is the thing that the drive wouldn’t sleep after installing SS + Java.

I haven’t found a way yet, but what I’d do is to run a cron job (or something) every day at 00:00 (or another fixed schedule/interval) and kill java + all the other proccesses stopping the NAS from sleeping. My workflow would be:

1) I connect from from work with DSub (Android client) to my NAS. On launch, I created a Tasker task (a programming app) to log in into SSH and start Subsonic by launching the appropiate script

2) I use my phone to stream music for a while

3) After some time (an interval of Subsonic proccess inactivity? is this even possible in Linux?) or at a fixed time (i.e. every day at 00:00), I would kill the process and after a while, the NAS would be able to go to sleep again

What do you think of these? Is this too crazy or would be possible? Do you have a clue of what processes I should kill to let the drive go to sleep? I recall trying to killall Java processes and the drive still wouldn’t go to sleep…

Please let me know what you think, thanks!