WD2GO stops just before the end of transfer

Hello,

Last week I bought a my book live (3TB) for my father and I would like to use this to transfer files from my home to my fathers MBL using wd2go.com. But when I transfer bigger files between 800 MB and 2 G it transfers with a good speed (20 Mbps) and then just stops just before the finish of the transfer. Can anyone explain how this is possible and what I could do to make it work. 

Thanks,

Jim

Short answer:  You need to wait.  Just be patient.

Long answer: Windows lies about the duration / speed / time remaining for WD 2go transfers  (and it’s ONLY windows that does this.  Mac and mobile devices don’t have this issue.)

When you’re copying FROM the PC TO the MBL via WD 2go, windows initially reports the speed and ETA of copying the file NOT to the MBL, but to its own internal cache elsewhere on the local HD.

Once the file is copied to the cache and the actually upload begins, then it will appear to “hang” while the file is being uploaded across the internet.  The window may even say that’s it’s “Not Responding.”  But it’s not true.

Going the opposite direction (copying from MBL to local HD) is the opposite result.

Windows will report EXTREMELY low transfer speed, will appear to go nowhere, may even go “Not Responding” and then all of the sudden (when the file is actually downloaded) will jump to 100-200 MB per second while the file is copied out of the local cache to the folder you’re pasting to.

You can open the Network Monitor in Windows and actually see that data is moving along even when the window is “Hung.”

Thanks