WD MyBook live

Hi all!

This is begining of my adventure with external drives, so I have a question about security.

My mybook live is working fine, it’s connected to my WiFi router. Internet from router is secyred by passwodr in WPA2.

My question is about pubilc folder in mybook live. Is this folder visible for every 150 people that lives in my neighborhood or just for my and my famili that fhave access to out internet tgrough WiFi router?

Regards,

Kostek

It’s a wireless device on your network, not it’s own network.   So, your first line of defense was securing your network with a WPA2 password.

However, the device also accesses the internet, where a billion or more users can access your shares IF you enable remote access.  Personally, I have not used that feature, so would hope there is a moderator here on weekdays to explain further.

Mr-Kostek wrote:

Hi all!

This is begining of my adventure with external drives, so I have a question about security.

My mybook live is working fine, it’s connected to my WiFi router. Internet from router is secyred by passwodr in WPA2.

My question is about pubilc folder in mybook live. Is this folder visible for every 150 people that lives in my neighborhood or just for my and my famili that fhave access to out internet tgrough WiFi router?

Regards,

Kostek

It’s visible to absolutely everyone connected into your WiFi/router, so if you are sharing your WiFi password with 150 people, then 150 people will have access to the drive.

soho1 wrote:

would hope there is a moderator here … to explain further. 

Explain what?