WD My Book Live on Mac?

I have a My Book Live but it is pretty much unusable on my Imac (10.9).

They are both going into the same Gigabit switch but it is impossible to do anything with it.

Timemachine takes a few days to run (25gb)

To copy a 2gb file it takes about 8 minutes.

I have tried via SMB and AFP but it is still awful.

From a PC / Smart TV is seems to work fine though?

I forgot to mention that it was really slow before 10.9

I have just ssh’d in and run a top and found this:

4425 root      30  10 16192 9792 2752 S 95.7  3.9   3:22.45 mediacrawler  

It looks like this is hammering the CPU.

It sounds as you might not be connecting at gig speed. Just because you have a gig switch does not mean all devices will connect at that speed.

Verify they are, if they are not, make sure you have cat5e or newer cables. If you have wifi on imac, make sure you turn it off as well.

My iMac is connected at 1gbit, how would I check on mybook live?

back LEDs and match color to manual.

are you connected via wifi or ethernet? If wifi switch over to ethenet and see if your speed improves if the still doesnt’ help check to the if the ethernet cable is damaged and that it is at least a cat5e cable.

See if light on back of MBL where cable connects is green. (its the actial socket that lights up)

Mine was yellow originally onl 10mb/s now its 100mb/s (green)

On my Router there was a one off 100mb port.

Try that first.

It is certainly connected as gigabit as it works fine from a PC.

I tried to run a Time machine backup (300GB), I left it overnight and in 12 hours it did 30gb which is awful.

Whenever I google WD Book Live issues they are always on Macs, there must be something wrong?

what about copying just files vs time machine?

I have Macs as well and all run just fine. I even have a 100 network. I know what to except from it though. for my timemachine, I just do user folders, not the whole machine.

2 Win, 2 Macs, 3 androids, 1 iphone.