Video playback drops

Hi

I am having 2 problems tha 3Tb  My book live NAS which keeps dropping of the network & it has slow/lagging access

I have a Asus RT-N66u router   ( gigabit router )

which has a 10m run using cat5e to a mini 8 way gigabit switch

The switch connects to a networked DVD which is HDMI linked to TV 1 also on the switch is the My book live, 2 sky box’s, airport express, multi room/source amp, home automation system ( Teletask )

TV2 is linked to the network via WiFi ( not great I know but someone damaged  the hdmi cable )

I have changed the network switcher & all the patch leads to the switch

The problem is network connections the NAS keeps dropping, when It holds it is very slow and laggy, even with music it stalls and then jumps to the next track randomly

It has done this from day 1.   I have the new wd media player ( not twonky ) firmware and media player are fully updated

I have no problems watching iplayer on the wifi TV & I have the same Nas playback problems with both the wifi TV and the hdmi TV via networked DVD player ?

using the wd app music sometimes works but video just keeps freezing which I suppose is normal ?

How can I tell if this is a problem with my NAS or my network ?

any help would be appreciated

thank you

Paul

Hello,

What firmware are you running on the device?

Have you tried resetting the drive?

Also what’s the speed of your internet service?

To achieve maximum transfer rates, we recommend using Giga-bit network devices, because your transfer rates will only be as fast as your slowest network component. You may also want to click on the following link for some suggestions on how to improve your network transfer rate.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5736

Thank you for your reply

I have a brand new gigabit router ( Asus RT-N66U with latest firmware ) with a gigabit mini switch ( TP-Link ) 10M away

BT Infinity running at 15Mb download speed

A brand new my book live 3 Tb is plugged into the gigabit switch & running firmware version 02.42.03-027  & media DLNA version 2.3.0.12093  ( does not have Twonky on it )

I have reset the my book live and the router

I dont know if i can check or upgrade the gigabit mini network switch

Paul

Update

I have seemed to have temporally solved this problem by removing the DNS server line in the network setup page on the NAS
When I log in to the setup page it warns me I have no DNS server listed but all functions work correctly including the remote app & everything is a lot faster and more stable.
The question I now have is can I leave this DNS field blank & if I do what services/security  will I loose ?

Thank you

Paul

streetlighter wrote:

Update

The question I now have is can I leave this DNS field blank & if I do what services/security  will I loose ?

Everything that uses the internet.

WD 2go, WD Photos, Notifications (alerts), Time sync, Firmware Update notifications, etc. etc. etc.