User shares missing after drive replacement

I have a My Book Live Duo NAS (6TB) unit . One of the drives failed and a replacement was sent under warranty.

Upon inserting the drive, all went as expected until after the RAID was done rebuilding I noticed the user shares had gone missing; only the public drive remains accessible. I’ve tried rebooting and the short test, as well as the rest button per phone supports advice. No change.

(The replacement drive was preconfigured as RAID 0 [striped], while I had set my device to RAID 1 [mirrored]. I was concerned that the RAID setup may be an issue but was assured by WD phone support that it was not a problem.)

The bar at the bottom of the dashboard reflects the correct total amount of data (510 GB) but it’s no longer broken down into Music, Pictures, etc, it’s almost entirely “Other”.

The 2 user shares are listed in the dashboard but each reports disk usage of “0 mb” while the public share reports only “27.1 GB”. The remaining 483 GB is inaccessible. Despite all the evidence that the user shares SHOULD be there, going to "\mybookliveduo" reveals only the public share but no users. Trying to map the shares via the WD SmartWare is also of no use as it reports that no such path exists.

Even if I were not concerned about losing all that data (which of course I am), I can’t even delete it without doing a complete factory restore, because I can’t access it.

I’m currently waiting to hear back from level 2 support, but not exactly holding my breath.

Any advice?

Hello mate,

Check the thread below, this might help to get your files back

http://wstd.lithium.com/t5/My-Book-Live/What-are-the-steps-to-enable-SSH/td-p/324417

1 Like

The link you provided wasn’t quite what i needed, but you were absolutely correct about SSH.

About the same time I read this I got that call back from WD Level 2 support who also had no explanation as to how the shares disappeared.

He connected to my desktop remotely, downloaded and installed “winscp511setup.exe” then enabled SSH through the dashboard.

Go to “mybookliveduo/UI/Ssh”, no quotes, enable SSH then fire up WINSCP.

Since we were able to see the data, we simply moved it to the Public share and I think I’m good to go.

Not sure if I’ll be messing with private shares anymore, or if I can consider this just a fluke.

Thanks!