Unable to set up private shares

Hi,

Having just purchased a My Book Live I was really looking for something as simple as possible but it’s been a headache.  Firstly I did make the big mistake of thinking that some of the basics like a USB3 connection would be available and secondly I thought that the whole point of it was the convenience of not having wires, so was shocked to find that the hard drive had to be wired to my router.  I realise that making these assumptions was mainly my fault.  Having gone through this I decided to proceed and try to set up a private ‘share’.  This however has turned out to be a real pain too.  I’m certainly not a mac expert and thought it would be fairly simple to set up, however when I set up a private share via the Dashboard it does not show when I go to the network. 

How can I see private folders?  I’ve tried without making them private and I can see them.

Many thanks in advance (and sorry for the initial moaning!).

Olly.

Hmm this is similar to another post I just responded to. I don’t use a Mac so I have never run into this issue.

Any Mac users out there using Private shares and able to see them that can help?

you would probably have to unmount and mount it again. It will also only show the shares available to the user/credentials you enter.

It will also depend how far in you went with the path:

//192.168.1.50/Public vs //192.168.1.50/

http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/20/map-a-network-drive-on-a-mac/