Unable to locate My Book Live

Hello there Community;

I have spent the evening attempting to connect to the wife’s My Book Live with no luck.  I’ve turned to you for help.  We have three computers and two of them don’t connect to it at all - The Desktop, the Macbook Pro, and the PC Laptop.

• The Desktop computer is using Windows 8.1

• Pinging the IP address of the My Book Live from my Desktop reads “Destination Host unreachable”

• Using WD Discovery software fnds everything on the network EXCEPT the My Book Live, PC Laptop, and MacBook Pro

• I’ve tried disabling my firewall as well - no luck.

• The MacBook Pro that can see the My Book Live on the network but cannot connect to see any of the files (The “Connect As” button doesn’t do anything when pressed)

• Pinging the IP address of the My Book Live from the MacBook Pro is fine

• I have a wireless PC Laptop (Windows 8.1) that can see the My Book Live without any issues

• Pinging the IP address of the My Book Live from my Laptop is fine

• My Book Live is connected to the Network and is under the same workgroup (“WORKGROUP”)

We are currently transferring the files through the laptop to the Desktop (as it can see both locations) and thinking that perhaps a full Factory Reset might fix the issues, but can anyone offer any suggestions on what to do in the meantime?

Since 1 system is able to to interact with the NAS, I am inclined to believe this is more of an internal networking configuration issue.

• The “Connect As” in Mac OS serves the purpose of accessing Private Shares when you select “Registered User”. You can connect using SMB, CIFS, and AFP for different commands. If your Mac is using OSX 10.8 or later then I would suggest using CIFS unless you intend on using Time Machine. Connect as a “Guest” and this should grant access to the Public share.

• On the Desktop Windows 8.1 computer double-check the Network and Sharing Center settings with regards to the network type and networking services so they match the Windows 8.1 laptop.

Regards, 

Hi there;

Unfortunately, looking through my options on the Network and Sharing Center options on the Desktop and comparing them to the Laptop came up with no differences at all.  All the Private, Public/Guest and All Networks options were exactly the same.

I even followed the instructions that WD offered:

1- Please click on the “Start Menu”;
2- Search for “services.msc”;
3- Check the services on the step 4 to starting/running and automatic, by right clicking on the service and changing the start up type to automatic;
4- The Services you should check are: Computer Browser, DHCP Client, DNS Client, Net.TCP Port Sharing Service, Network Access Protection Agent, Network Connections, Network Location Awareness, SSDP Discovery, TCP/IP NetBios Helper, UPnP device host and Workstation.

I will also note that the WD Discovery Software does not see the MyBookLive on our Desktop, and I cannot ping it.  However, I can use the WD Discovery software successfully on the Laptop.

Do you have any other suggestions that I can try out?