Twonky Media Server and WD's DLNA Media Server

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735

I am going to try switching tonight, but wanted to know what the difference was and if it is better than the Twonky?

EDIT: I have noticed a few posts about some issues with it, and how it works with windows 8 but is the WD DLNA actually better than twonky, are file types/codecs improved for video?

The benefit of upgrading to the newer WD Media Server is to gain full Windows 8 certification and to take advantage of WD’s app for Windows 8. The patches (provide in the KBA link below) offers the choice of using either DLNA server, and the option to switch back to the other server by simply applying one of the patches. 

Note: To try the WD app for Windows 8, go to the Windows 8 app store and search for WD. To enable full functionality of the WD app for Windows 8, you must apply the firmware version 02.41.05-034 update first. Go to the WD KBA #5735 link provided below to learn more about, including how to download the patch. 

KBA# 5735 Link:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735"

Old thread but looked like I should post this here…

I’ve been wondering a couple of things since getting my MBL…

1) What are the pros and cons of using the WD FW with the WD DLNA over Twonky’s DLNA? Just Win8 Certification?

2) Can I delete ALL the folders that came on the MBL and just create my own with no problems?

1. If the Twonky 5.1.9 media server works with your devices, then keep it.   

The only reason I would use WD’s media server is if your devices don’t work with Twonky 5.1.9.

1.  Yes, but you cannot delete the Public share, but you can delete all the stuff inside it.
1 Like

1) Yup all devices see it…so i’ll leave it be Mostly was concerned as I switch drives on the main PC. One has Win 8 the other Win 7. Saw the info about Win 8 and got a little worried about jerking the sytems around…Feel pretty sure all the Twonky settings stay on the MBL so it shouldn’t be a problem.

2) OK…good. That “Shared” part is what I mostly don’t like.

I figured out as well that I need to do a little setup work in Twonky :slight_smile:

Thanks Tony!

Keep in mind that WD Photos REQUIRES photos to be in the Public/Shared Pictures folder.

If you want to use WD Photos, you’ll need to put that folder back.

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Keep in mind that WD Photos REQUIRES photos to be in the Public/Shared Pictures folder.

If you want to use WD Photos, you’ll need to put that folder back.

Nope, bought it for movies and music. No need for the app here. Good info though, as usual. :slight_smile: