TimeMachine and Shares

Hi,

Just installed a MBL 2TB (the purpose of which is to automatically back up data from a few PCs on my home Wifi network). and really don’t get it!  Maybe I’m missing something, but what on earth is the “TimeMachine” can anyone tell me? I see this just looks like a shared folder…but what would I do with it or put in it?

Also, I think I’m missing another fundamental point with the “Shares”.  It looks like this device by default creates Public folders that can be shared across a network or across internet- well, duh, do the contents get backed up, and if so how? If not backed up, does that rather defeat the whole purpose of having a network backup drive?

Soryy if these are dumb questions!

Hespy,

“Time Machine” is a dedicated backup folder for Apple computers bundled with the Mac OS “Time Machine” application.

In order for backups to be made, you would have to copy and paste the content into any of the shares, or use an automatic backup tool such as WD SmartWare (Windows only), or Apple Time Machine on Macs.

Your WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage also allows you to create password-protected private shares in the Dashboard configuration page.

So does this mean for us Windows folks we can delete this “timemachine” share and it not cause any problems down the road?