Time Machine backup via OSX Mavericks

Since I upgraded to Mavericks, I can no longer see my MBL in the OS X Finder.  However, it’s readily visible in my router panel, and with the IP adress from there I can ping and traceroute it (latter method then allows it to identify itself as:> - ’ 1  mybooklive (192.168.1.170)  0.743 ms  0.206 ms  0.192 ms’. 
I can see the drive on my networked TV (N600 wireless), and browse to and play video files from it.  However, from the internet side, the mycloud login wd2go gives a yellow triangle error with the rollover text of:> - “Device is offline.  Check your internet connection, enable remote access and then try again”
I saw lots of complaints on the web, some with no OS X visibility at all like me, others with connectivity but no functionality.  My router has the latest firmware, but not sure about the MBL, and I can’t load it anyway (or at least, not without fancy hacks).> So, I tried your connection suggestions above.

Find out what the IP address is for your NAS drive.  I’m not using static, but found mine in my router panel - 192.168.1.170

Finder → Go → Connect to server.  Tried both SMB:// and  afp:// IP address, and SMB:// and afp://mybooklive but got the following errors for SMB:

SMB IP Error.png

…and afp:

afp IP Error.png

… with similar errors if I use “mybooklive”. 

I’ve tried rebooting my drive and iMac and MacBookPro, all to no avail.  What’s flummoxed me is that I seem to be able to do almost everything except connect from a Mac. 

Apple says SMB is the default in Mavericks, but afp should work too.

Setup: