Time Machine backup via OSX Mavericks

Hello and welcome,

Thanks for the info, you can also try reporting this issue directly to Apple. 

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

2 Likes

Thank you for your post. We are already aware of this issue with OSx 10.9 and will have a solution in a firmware update.

OSX Mavericks has gone golden ( GM ) can we expect a firmware in the next few days?

Met in the user’s network, which runs on firmware 02.42.02-012
I was very surprised. 'll Wait patch from WD

After doing a clean install of Mac OSX Mavericks (Gold Master) I can’t use My Book Live as Time Machine on any of my Macs. It seems to work when upgrading from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, not with a clean install. What can I do?

Fallen_Zen wrote:

After doing a clean install of Mac OSX Mavericks (Gold Master) I can’t use My Book Live as Time Machine on any of my Macs. It seems to work when upgrading from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, not with a clean install. What can I do?

Report it to WD support and hope for a patch

A new firmware has been released to address OSX Mavericks time machine.

Yes, noticed that yesterday. Good job WD Team :wink:

1 Like

Will there be a firmware update for the Mybook World white light also?

When? 10.9 has been released and I am running the latest firmware.

add me too, please:

What about WD My World Book Edition II - will there be a firmware forthcoming or has WD determined that I should trash this otherwise perfectly functional (albeit comparatively slow) NAS?

So, am I reading this correctly that despite Mavericks being out, there are still connectivity issues with the current FW? If so, count me in! I’ve had to swich Time Machine backups to an MBLD as my MBL refuses to accept them from three iMacs (2007 to 2013) running Mavericks.

Also, response time from both MBL and MBLD, especially when first mounting, is extremely slow … ofen takes me >15 seconds to even mount in Mavericks. Anybody else seeing this?

Am currently running a full diagnostic on the MBL (has been running for 3 hours, currently at 50%), but fear it won’t show much if the above issue is known…

What gives?

Not sure what all the issues are w/Mavericks. I have the latest MBL firmware and Time Machine is working great. Now I did have to delete all my previous backups and start a new one on the Macs running Mavericks, but it twice as fast as before.

I do see some slight delay when mounting MBL shares but once conected they are fine.

Sorry if this isn’t the right thread, but I’m having the same problem with the MyCloud… I can get to everything using the App, but I can’t set up TimeMachine because “the server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time.”

I think all the firmware is up to date. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Sorry to say I’m an absolute newbie with this, so please be kind. :slight_smile:

In the UI of mycloud/mbl under Shares can you see the TimeMachine share? Is it desiginated as a TM share? Also, be sure you have the same Workgroup name under your Mac’s network settings that match that of the MBL

I am running Mavericks on 2 computers where, prior to installing 10.9/Mavericks, Timemachine was working flawlessly for over a year with my WD Mybook Live… But now…useless.

Yes, I ugraded firmware.

Yes, I’ve run full diagnostics.

There is a ton on chatter on Macrumors.com forums about issues with external WD drives…and maybe this is related.

But regardless, come on WD, lets get this fixed or you’ll be loosing a customer…permanently!

:angry:

Yep - me too.  I purchased the WD MYcloud so I could use Time Machine.  Does not appear to be possible, timemachine cannot see the drive.  Very disappointing.

Hey, I think I figured it out.  The drive does not appear available unless you drill down to it in Finder.  Once you have done that then it appears as an available disc for TimeMachine.  I also found out that QuickView does not work until you have drilled down to the shares and folders in Finder.

First time machine backup is running…5 hours to completion.:smiley:

Me too.  My last incremental Time Machine backup took 47 hours.  My attempt to create a full backup on a reformatted WD disk would take an estimated 70 days.  (Yep, days)  I don’t know where the problem is, but it started when I loaded Mavericks.

An earlier post noted that Apple now uses SMB for the default protocol?  Is that right?

Thanks!  - Andy

MBL newbie upgrading from Lion to Mavericks on a 2011 MacBook Air. 

I started with a fast full TimeMachine backup to the MBL drive under Lion prior to OS X upgrade and I followed Western Digital’s warning to uninstall ‘WD SmartWare’ with ‘the WD software uninstaller’ app which WD directed me to on a ‘My Book Studio LX’ webpage, saying one size fits all (I note that the MBL webpage only had a My Cloud uninstaller for Mac, and as Western Digital made no mention of this, I left that well alone). 

After uninstalling ‘WD SmartWare’ I upgraded to Mavericks. Everything seemed okay at first but, the TimeMachine backup was far slower than before, so I left it in progress as I went to bed, ensuring that the laptop would not go to sleep, apart from the screen. Come the morning I see it had not completed and when I tried to manually do a TimeMachine backup it told me “The Backup disk could not be found”. 

It’s was there in the finder, however, in fact there was now three Time Machine Volumes. There is a generic white drive icon named “TimeMachine Backups” note the ’s’ at the end of the name. Then there are the two blue WD drive icons named “TimeMachine” and “TimeMachinBackup”. 

Opening a finder window, I now see “TimeMachine Backups” comes up under DEVICES, whereas I recall that before the upgrade the two WD drive icons appeared here instead. Anyhow, when I clicked on the generic “TimeMachine Backups” icon the finder window crashed, and when I reopened the finder window the “TimeMachine Backups” drive icon had disappeared altogether. Ten minuets later, a message window appeared on the screen saying that the two WD volumes had also been dropped. Yet in the finder window under SHARED the ‘mybooklive’  still shows up as a computer and clicking on it brings up all 4 Shares folders ‘Public’, ‘SmartWare’, ‘TimeMachine’ and ‘TimeMachineBackup’.

I’m no expert, but it seems to me there is some kind of clash between the generic “TimeMachine Backups” volume which Mavericks expects and the WD specific “TimeMachine” and “TimeMachineBackup” volumes. I have read on another thread here that there should only be one WD TimeMachine volume showing in the finder window, but due to a quirk of OS X, two volumes appear. I haven’t reinstalled SmartWare yet, and I notice that the My Cloud uninstall icon had been removed from my Launchpad by the Mavericks upgrade.

I hope my experience adds to the discussion.