Time Machine Backup wirelessly on My Book Live

Hi at all,
I have a Mac Book Pro with the latest OS X Yosemite and a My Book Live.
I want to use Time Machine wirelessly but when I try to start a backup the velocity is very very slow (unusable).
Usually the connection is always slow also in Finder, but I found recently a solution that consist to use cifs protocol instead of afb, and it seems to be faster. But how can I force Time Machine to use cifs?
Or someone else knows another solution?
Thanks
Davide

As far as I am aware Apple’s Time Machine requires AFP and can not be normally forced to use any other protocol. If you are getting slow transfer speeds then perhaps posting the specifications of your router could help identifying local bottlenecks.

Regards,

Trancer wrote:

As far as I am aware Apple’s Time Machine requires AFP and can not be normally forced to use any other protocol. If you are getting slow transfer speeds then perhaps posting the specifications of your router could help identifying local bottlenecks.

Regards,

Hi, my router is a Netgear DGN 2200 but I think it is not a problem, I am using the MBL without trouble from 2 other Windows PC, one in wifi and one in ethernet…

I’m seeing the same thing with my laptop & Time Machine connected to a My Book Live. Prior to Yosemite, I could wirelessly back up my entire HD of ~350GB within 24 hours. With Yosemite, I’m lucky to get as much as 1GB/hr - and that’s in a best case scenario with an ethernet connection. I’ve reformatted the drive & performed a factory reset, but no improvement.

Only thing I can think of is that Yosemite does something different with Time Machine (maybe a newtworking protocol change), or that there was a firmware update to the My Book Live which has caused slowdowns (are older firmware updates stored online somewhere?)

Not sure what to do, but right now, the MBLive isn’t a viable backup solution!

For me was the same also with Mavericks…My backup fails everytime cause the speed is about…uhm…10 mb per hour?? I m not kidding…

Up