The folder “Shared Videos” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents

Hi All

I have been recently plagued with the issue of seeing this message ‘The folder “Shared Videos” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents’ every time I try to access all my content in one of the default shared folders on the Public drive.

There are a couple of support threads on here that address this, but none of there suggestions seemed to help and those forums are now closed for reply so I wanted to post what resolved it for me in the hope that I will help someone else.

Here’s what I did:

1. Turn on SSH for your MyBook Live (Just Google how to do it, there are a heap of threads that explain the process).
  2. Open up your favourite FTP program and type the following details in (they could be different for you): Address=sftp://mybooklive.local, Username=root,password=welc0me
  3. In the location box, type in /DataVolume/shares/ and they will bring up all the Shares you have.
  4. Navigate into the share, select the folder you are having trouble with and select the ‘File Permissions’ options (Usually by right-clicking on it).
  5. Update the file permissions to 777
  6. Go back and turn of SSH

This resolved it for me and hopefully it works for others out there.

I’d also be interested to hear from anybody who is more network-savvy than me and can tell me if this is a bad way of doing things from a security or other point of view.

It’d be interesting to note what the permissions were set to before making such a change…