Streaming Media from my MyBookLive 2tb external wifi hard drive

I have all my media on my MyBookLive 2tb media storage. when I try to stream media from MyBookLive, I can be waatching a movie and when the landline phone rings, it stops the movie. Do I need something additional to stream? @ family members say I don’t need anything to stream from MyBookLive, that they have no problem, but they don’t have a land line phone either. I don’t understand why or how this could happen. What does my home phone have to do with streaming a video? They aren’t connected to each other. Please help!!! Thanks

Debram77536 wrote:

I have all my media on my MyBookLive 2tb media storage. when I try to stream media from MyBookLive, I can be waatching a movie and when the landline phone rings, it stops the movie. Do I need something additional to stream? @ family members say I don’t need anything to stream from MyBookLive, that they have no problem, but they don’t have a land line phone either. I don’t understand why or how this could happen. What does my home phone have to do with streaming a video? They aren’t connected to each other. Please help!!! Thanks

Well, welcome here, and firstly, this is a completely different topic for a different WD device and deserved a new subject to be created.  A WD moderator will likely move it. 

Nevertheless, your phone has a lot to do with it, because, 1) you likely have an older-style wireless phone at 2.4G  (same as your router wireless frequency)  and 2) when the phone rings it interrupts the wireless signal for a moment and disconnects the signal.  I had this sort of issue years ago, and the solution is to replace ALL wireless phones with current 5.8G phones.  I did, and the problem is history.  I had a base station with three additional phones in the system, so replaced all phones by getting another 4-phone system. 

This problem is not noticeable when browsing the internet or reading email (it is so momentary) , but in the case of streaming (or being connected to a VPN as I was) it is a factor.

Another thought is you may have an older G router, and for streaming you need an N router.

1 Like

Thank you. They were both router and remote phones on the landline. We upgraded and the issue is resolved, so far.