Some questions/problems

Let me start saying that I have a MBL (2 TB) stuck at the previous firmware update (I haven’t installed the last one because I don’t need it) and I’m using a MacBook Pro (5,1) with OS X 10.6.8 connected to the router through WiFi (I also use Ethernet sometimes).

• The WD app “Quick View” use to work great when I have the Ethernet cable plugged in but, when I use WiFi:
  1. It needs several minutes and attempts to get the “MyBookLive” alias (the Desktop’s one) resolved.
  2. This app also logs every minute in the system.log with the phrase “Updating service information”… I wish this is customizable from a plist file or as a program argument not documented.
  • When I log into the MBL with SSH and I try to use bootsched (located in /sbin) bash says “open: No such file or directory” and this, to me, makes nonsense.

• In the SSH context, no one executable seems to have a man page; when I try, they refer to:

No manual entry for *command_name*
See ‘man 7 undocumented’ for help when manual pages are not available.”

and then “No manual entry for undocumented in section 7”.

• Very often, when I want to play a movie (from houndreds of MBs to few GBs) by using my TV as a second monitor (and using WiFi), it tends to block itself and this is very annoying so I have to change room (for the Ethernet cable), copy the file in the local hard disk and watch it without the MBL!
    Is there a way for optimize this “lag” ? Maybe some process priority, a larger buffer or something similar ?
    I know that the electromagnetic disturb near the TV si pretty higher but I can’t do nothing (not really true, but let me say that it is so) for that…

• My MBL seems to be almost always online (stable green LED; even if sometimes it blinks for a fraction of second), without going to “sleep” even if no one is using it nor it should do anything with the multimedial files after several weeks from last time that I’ve added a file; it’s just plugged to the router.

• When I go into my MBL with “WD2go” on iOS (up-to-date) it takes (when it succeed) several minutes (on both 3G and WiFi connection) to load my shared Music folder (the iTunes one, with houndreds – ?! – of folders) and using another app (AcePlayer) who can see UPNP/DLNA media servers (as Twonky) in the WiFi network, when I open a folder, there are not all my music file but only a few of them!

• How does the MBL works in term of fragmentation ? There is an utility for monitoring fragmentation of files and, if needed, defragment them ?

WHY are you trying to run bootsched?

Correct.  There are no MAN pages installed.  To do so would be a waste of storage.

Why are you concerned with fragmentation?

In reference to your MBL failing to sleep, there was a firmwire fix a while back that fixes that issue. 

Mine sleeps correctly on the latest firmware.

Can I also ask why are you not upgrading your firmware? Is it for an operational reason, or because you dont want to?

• About bootsched: In that moment I was only trying it…
    I was wondering if it was possible to power-on the MBL in the mornings and shut it down during the night.
  • About man pages: little text files are not a waste of storage in the perspective of 2 TB; and one can compress them if desired.
  • About fragmentation: Not really a problem, but as long as free space reduces in size, this envolve into a problem if correlated to network’s transfer rate, etc…
    Nowadays I have ~1.1 TB free but I’m planning to use up to 100 more GBs in the next months/year.

@Lightingman2003: Because:

• This update does not alter the current Media Server configuration […]”
  • The benefit of updating […] is to gain full Windows 8 certification and to take advantage of the WD app for Windows 8.”, “Supports Windows 8 File History backups” and I don’t have/use Windows 8.
  • Support streaming of MKV files to Samsung® HDTVs”, I don’t have a similar tv… I just plug a MiniDisplayPort—DVI / DVI—HDMI cable(s) and use my tv as a second (duplicated) monitor.
  • I haven’t noticed any of the “Resolved Issues”.

EDIT : Another question:
I wish to compile and install the gogo client of Freenet6 on the MBL because I’m behind a NATted MAN (the strange fact is that however I can access my MBL from outside the NAT using WD2go – but this is quite slow). Is it possible ?
I think that I can compile (on my Mac) for the following platforms: Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin, Solaris and OpenWrt; and then move each file to the MBL with scp… What do you think ?

No one who can help me ? 

I have two another questions:

1. I want to move some folders (with many GBs of files) from the default Public share to a private one and I think that the fastest way to do this is by using ssh with the mv command, but I’ve found that these shares are both under /shares and /DataVolume/shares. Which one do I have to use ?

2. I use (Apple’s) Aperture to organise/edit/etc my photos who are located within multiple Aperture library files (obviously, on a private share of the MBL) and I wish to use the WDphotos app to view them. I know that I can “relocate” the “master” files to an external folder, but I want to view the “version” one (divided into my folder/album hierarchies); is this possible without exporting each photo (who’s gonna double in size my photo’s library; without talking about taking in sync the exported folder) ?