[Solved] Deleted public share contents via rsync copy, now unable to run web access or ssh!

I initiated a backup of my shares from my synology NAS to the my book live where file that didn’t exist on the source (synology) were deleted on the MBL. This has resulted in no access to the web admin page and ssh logins being rejected. I have now realised why it has happened, the www folder is in the Public share and no longer exists. I do have the ability to access the file contents of the MBL, is there a possibility I could recreate the www folders and associated files to recover access to the web admin.

Open to any suggestions on how I can resolve this issue.

Stuart

time2innov8 wrote:
I have now realised why it has happened, the www folder is in the Public share and no longer exists. I do have the ability to access the file contents of the MBL, is there a possibility I could recreate the www folders and associated files to recover access to the web admin.

No, there’s nothing of that sort in the Public share.

Out of the box, the only thing in the Public share is WD’s smartware program (which I deleted on Day 1.)

I think you have something else going on.

The inability to access the web admin and ssh only occurred after the rsync process was carried out, confused as to what else could have caused it. I have reset the MBL and it get given an address via dhcp but if I try to access the web admin page I get a 404 error displaying the following:

Not Found

The requested URL / was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

If I scan the ports using the fing ipad app it shows that the relevant ports are responding. I can ping the MBL with no errors, the device is going in standby as normal after periods of inactivity. As long as I only want to use the MBL to store files it will function correctly.

If the web admin page is not stored in the shares does anyone know where it is located, this might assist in identifying why it won’t display the login page.

Confused!!!

What command did you actually run? Please type it, as you probably copied and overwrote system files on MBL.

The command was ran as part of a cron timed sequence, the text of the rsync is as follows:

rsync -av --delete root@192.168.1.91:/volume1/Public /shares

192.168.1.91 is the ip address of my synology nas, the command should copy (-a = archive) the Public folder and all contents from the synology to the shares location on the MBL. --delete will cause any file not present in the source (synology) to be deleted from the destination (mbl)
I used to have a wget command retrieving the folder and contents but there was no means of deleting files that didn’t exist on the source, although I now wish it had been left that way!! :slight_smile:

Stuart

well, that command will delete everything under /shares and copy whatever is at /Public from Sysnology. Not sure if you intented to do that, but if you did, all the shares probably have the wrong properties now, since they match the other NAS, or belong to root.

I would assume a 192.168.1.91:/volume1/Public to MBL /shares/Public was more appropiate

Now, I am not a Linux expert, but MBL runs Debian Lenny, in case no other users comment on this, you can try some Linux forums.

Now, I cannot think why the dashboard would be unavailable afterwards and/or ssh disable, if it was enable before hand. It should not have any dependencies on those shares, at least none that I can think of. Unless the home folder for the ssh user was deleted.

Not sure why the following sorted the problem, but I’m not complaining:

1. Downloaded and installed mbl_windows_setup.exe from WD website

The software ran, found my MBL and completed successfully

1. Accessed UI web address successfully, changed ip back to fixed. Checked ssh was still enabled

2. Tried accessing ssh but connection was refused, tried getting MBL to upgrade to same version of software, this was unsuccessful. Downloaded an earlier version of firmware and succesfully manual upgraded (downgrade??)

3. Following installation of upgrade .deb file, ssh functioned correctly.

:slight_smile:

Stuart