Smartware does not recognize MyBookLive any longer. But I Urgently need a Restore

Hello everyone. I hope someone has a clue to my problems. Please excuse my austrian english.

It is already more than a year ago, that I had to find out, that  Smartware (1.2.0.8) did not show my MyBookLive (Firmware 01.05.07 : MioNet 4.3.1.12) in its interface any longer. I only could see my computer listed there. In the windows explorer I could and can still find the public-folder of MBL and read and write data to and from it. But I have no access to my backups.

When I look up the dashboard I find Information that MBL from time to time still performs backups. Although the last has been performed month ago.

I was very busy last year, so I never had the time to look into the problem, but now I urgently need a restore of files that must be in the backup as I seem to have lost them on my harddisk.

My basic Questions:

What could be the reason for smartware not recognizing/showing MBL while windows still does it?

What should I (re)install or upgrade in order to safely get access to the Backup-Data back?

I do not dare to update the firmware as the available version seems to be fundamentally different and contains a severe risk of the loss of backupped data.

The same seems to be the case wiht upgrading Smartware, as the newest version has a much higher firmware as requirement.

I am too afraid to end up irreversibly locked out from my backups.

Above all I recently have purchases a MyCloud Nas and do not dare to install the newest  Smartware in order to loose access to my Backups on the MyBookLive.

If upgrading the Firmware and Smartware should be the only solution that probably could fix the problem to which Firrmware version should I upgrade in order to then upgrade Smartware to a matching version that bears the least risk no never again get access to the backkup data an at the same time gives the highest chance to solve the issue.

My long term Plan is, to use one of the two NAS as a external Storage and the other one to backup it and the computer.

Lately I found a Windows Error Message in the Events-Log that could point to the root cause, but I found no information about something similar in the WD forums:

Cut/Paste out of the Windows Event-Log. The Error occurs several times a day back until the begin of 2014

- System

- Provider
      [Name] WDSmartWareBackgroundService

- EventID 0
      [Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
      [SystemTime] 2015-01-24T09:27:20.000000000Z

EventRecordID 334542

Channel Application

Computer g-VAIO

Security
- EventData
      Problem starting Memeo Background Service :Ausnahmefehler "System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Ein Aufrufziel hat einen Ausnahmefehler verursacht. ---> System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Manche oder alle Identitätsverweise konnten nicht übersetzt werden. bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcServerChannel.StartListening(Object data) bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcServerChannel..ctor(IDictionary properties, IServerChannelSinkProvider sinkProvider, CommonSecurityDescriptor securityDescriptor) bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcChannel..ctor(IDictionary properties, IClientChannelSinkProvider clientSinkProvider, IServerChannelSinkProvider serverSinkProvider) --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung --- bei System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType) bei System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) bei System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) bei System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.CreateChannelFromConfigEntry(ChannelEntry entry) bei System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.ConfigureChannels(RemotingXmlConfigFileData configData, Boolean ensureSecurity) bei System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.ConfigureRemoting(RemotingXmlConfigFileData configData, Boolean ensureSecurity)" bei der Remotekonfiguration. bei System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfigHandler.ConfigureRemoting(RemotingXmlConfigFileData configData, Boolean ensureSecurity) bei System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingConfiguration.Configure(String filename, Boolean ensureSecurity) bei RemoteServerService.WDSmartWareBackgroundService.OnStart(String[] args)

Background Information:

MBL is connected via a Thomson Router (TG789vn)

Hi gerhard_s, have you verified if there are any firewalls installed on your PC that might be blocking Smartware? If you have access to the My Book Live you should be able to map and access the Smartwarte share, from here you can access the backup folder and manually copy the files. 

1 Like

After this post I was contacted by WD support  and the problem was solved  in a long but still professional process.

The solution finally was simple. Even though it dit not show up in any listing, by entering the correct path to the smartware folder in an net use command gave access to the backupped data.

And the path - most simply - is \mybooklive\smartware