Smartware can't "see" MBL 2T

Yet another posting about MBL access issues.  I’ve been all over this forum looking for help and trying out your ideas/solutions.  Here are the facts:

MBL 2TB purchased 2 months ago

Backing up:  Dell Desktop Win7;  HP Laptop Win7; HP Laptop Win8; IPhone5; Samsung GS4

Software:  Smartware 2.2; Firmware updated

Issue:

MBL installation successful with no issues, Smartware installed on two Win7 machines without issue, initial backups performed successfully (although quite slow).

Win8 machine using Win8 auto-backup feature without issue.

Approximately two weeks ago I discovered that the Win7 Desktop was not backing up.  The Smartware utility, when started, does not list the MBL as a Backup Target.  The Taskbar icon also does not list Quickview when you right click.  I assumed that this was a network issue so I researched this forum and performed the following:

DHCP on Router:  Confirmed

uPNP on the Router:  Confirmed

uPNP and on the PC: Changed to Automatic, no effect

Manual Reset on back of MBL:  Done, no effect

WD Discovery:  Ran the utility for giggles to see if anything changed, no effect.

MBL can be seen in MyNetwork

MBL can be accessed via Web UI

The strange part is that the MBL is listed on My Network, I am mapped to the drive and can browse the MBL from the desktop PC.  Smartware won’t “see” the MBL as a backup target.  I’ve also discovered that Smartware has not backed up any files (backup plan is All Categories, continuous) since the initial setup.

The Win7 laptop has the same issue with a twist that is understandable.  When the laptop starts up, Smartware can see the MBL as a backup target.  Backup plan is the same as the Desktop.  Laptop is connected to LAN via Ethernet cable 95% of the time.  Smarware also has NOT done any continuous backup since the initial setup.  I connect to a corporate VPN for work, once I do the MBL disappears from Smartware - totally understand and expected.

I’ve been all over this Forum and simply have run out of solutions.  Other than trying to factory reset, uninstall all instances of Smartware and try the complete installation process again, I’m out of ideas.  There are other things on this Forum that I have tried and forgot, but if you have any ideas please let me know.  I’ll let you know if I’ve tried it already or welcome a new idea.  Thanks !!!

can you get to the MBL using a web browser but putting in http://mybooklive/UI , or just using the IP?  IME, smartware is looking for the name, not the IP, so two things help. Reserving an IP for the MBL in your router, so it doesn’t change, and forcing a cahce refresh or changing the DNS to something else like google’s   8.8.8.8    8.8.4.4.

yes I can, either by name or ip works just fine.  I’ve done what you suggested, assigned it a reserved static ip address in the router and flushed the previously assigned DHCP IP address.  I then went into the MBL and changed it to Static IP and the appropriate address, still no change.  I then flushed the DNS cache, no change.  My ISP does not specify a DNS so I have none assigned in my router.  I changed to a static DNS 8.8.8.8 in the router and specified this DNS in the MBL network settings, no change.  The only backup target available in Smartware still is only Dropbox.

I never messed with the DNS in my router.  I just opened up the IPv4 settings on my laptop’s network connections, left the IP to auto detect,but put the DNS to 8.8.8.8.  Since smartware is on your pc.

May or may not make a difference.

reset dns in router to non-specific (0).  changed dns in desktop ipv4 8.8.8.8, flushed dns.  still no effect.  smartware still only sees dropbox.  i can browse and access UI until my face is blue, but stupid smartware still won’t cooperate.

As I newbie , I am finding many strings on this issue but still no results. Also have a newly installed MBL2T with same symptoms and it is sad that many hours have too be spent on this site as support is not much help.

Thanks for all the suggestions to date everyone

Reboot /reinstall??? really…I am thinking back to the store is a better solution:confounded: