Shares Missing but files there

Ok.  Let me explain.  I’ve read various things on here that answer parts of my question but things have gotten progressively worse.  Here’s what happened so far.

1. I have a MyBookLive 2TB connected via powerline apaptors into a DLNA network.  I have 2 tv’s connected to the network via 2 Panasonic Blu-rays.

2. Some months ago, loads of my files disappeared.  I could still see them via my iPad/iPhone/PC but I could NOT see them via the Blu-rays.

3. I read about using putty to upgrade Twonky to v7 which I did.  However, it didnt help.

4. So, again, I read about using the command to do a non-destructive restore with the noreformat command.

5. Since doing this, I can see using the Dashboard that files are there (ie it tells me 1.4TB of 2.0TB is used.  However, shares are gone.  Users are gone.

6. I again read about how I could go into Putty and manually move my files to the Public share.  However, when I use the ‘ls’ command in Putty it shows no files.  Nothing. Nada.

So, now I am totally lost.  I am not a programmer but have been very careful in every step to follow instructions.

If in Putty, I am in the root dir and its showing me no files, YET at the same time the drive has them there… is there a way  that I can fix this?

I’ve been battling with problems with this drive since just before Xmas.  I would even settle for being able to see them on my PC never mind through the blurays.

Please help!  :/  I really don’t know what else I can do now.

I decided to check my partition was mounted ok as per another thread…

MyBookLive:~# parted
GNU Parted 2.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type ‘help’ to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Model: ATA WDC WD20EURS-63S (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name     Flags
 3      15.7MB  528MB   513MB   linux-swap(v1)  primary
 1      528MB   2576MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 2      2576MB  4624MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 4      4624MB  2000GB  1996GB  ext4            primary

(parted)

nfodiz had recommended  using the following command:

fsck /dev/sda

and he doesnt mention any further question in the process.  But, I tried this and got the following…

MyBookLive:~# fsck /dev/sda4
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
/dev/sda4 is mounted.

WARNING!!!  The filesystem is mounted.   If you continue you ***WILL***
cause ***SEVERE*** filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue (y/n)?

So, do I?