Setting up My Book Live and getting 'You don't have permission to access /UI on this server'

Hi, I’m not that technical and have followed the instructions on set up. I’m in the middle of My Book Live Setup screens and it gives me the option to ‘Set Up My Book Live’. When I click on that it opens up a browser and tries to go to http://192.168.2.4/UI but the browser tab says 403 Forbidden and the page just reads 

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /UI on this server.

Anyone got an idiots guide to what to do? Also if anyone can come up with a support email address that also would be iseful … I’ve spent nearly an hour trying to go to email support but I’m being sent in a never ending loop :frowning:

Try using a different browser

type mybooklive/UI or just mybooklive

Are you on the same logical network as the MBL? It will not accept connections from other networks.

Try doing a search for “Apache forbidden 403”. This might give you some information that can help you solve the problem. The “403” error is coming from the Apache web server that hosts the MBL UI.

I had the same problem and my situation is that I have a static IP network system and the My Book Live is set up for Dynamic. So what I did was to plug My Book Live directly into my computer (after taking the computer off my network). I changed my computer ‘s IP from it’s static IP to Dynamic. Then I installed my live book on it and it no longer came up with “403 Forbidden” but it let me intot the Dashboard where I promptly change the My Live Book from Dynamic to a static IP address that would work with the rest of my network. Then after powering off my live book I disconnected it from the computer, which I changed back to it’s regular Static IP address and put back into the network, then plugged my live book into the network, turned it on and Viola’ the network could see my  live book and no longer did I get “403 forbidden”.

That’s how I got it to work for me, hope you have success also.

This is correct. That “feature” has been explicitly disabled by WD.  (It can be re-enabled if you know where to look, but there got to be a reason why this feature to access the Dashboard UI from the WAN was disabled.)

Chaos311 wrote:

Are you on the same logical network as the MBL? It will not accept connections from other networks.

Try doing a search for “Apache forbidden 403”. This might give you some information that can help you solve the problem. The “403” error is coming from the Apache web server that hosts the MBL UI.