Securing files on a remotely located My Book

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Mertian wrote:

The problems I have is that when my Father accesses the drive through his smart TV, a Sony, he can see all the drives and there is no request for a login and password.

What have I done wrong? 

Thanks in advance

SEEING the MBL and its shares versus actually being able to see the CONTENTS of the shares are two different things.  There’s nothing you can do to prevent discovering the existence of any particular share.

But if the TV is actually able to get INTO the share, then there are multiple possibilities.   In order of decreasing likelihood:

1.  The TV is accessing the MBL via DLNA, and you forgot to turn off “Media Serving” on the shares you don’t want accessed.
  1. You didn’t actually mark the share Private, and thus the TV is able to get into it as “Guest”.  (Whether or not this happened, I think it’s still unlikely, as not many TVs can access “shares,” they only work with DLNA servers.)

Thanks TonyPh12345.  The content is visible, so I will investigate the two suggestions you have made.  Now I need to figure out how do this :slight_smile: