Safepoint problems - Event Code: 1102

Recently I’ve started having problems with my safepoints on my “MyBookLive”. I’ve got two MyBookLive devices; one of which that I use as an ordinary NAS for simple file storage (no media serving etc); the second is used to hold the “safepoint” for the first - it is simply used to backup the first NAS.

The creation and updating of the safepoints were working well until recently. Now it fails every night.

When it first started (About April 20) I gave it a few nights in the hopes that it would correct itself. When it didn’t I took to looking into it. First I updated the firmware to the latest version and then rebooted the NAS. Then I ran both the “short” and “long” test on both devices, which they passed.

I’ve attempted many times to get the safepoints up to date, by manually refreshing the sharepoint through the MyBookLive GUI. But the GUI reported:
“36323 - Your safepoint could not be updated successfully due to a failed request. Please try updating your safepoint again.”

(It will also generate the automated email warning/error message)

And in a final desperate attempt to get the safepoints working, I deleted the safepoint through the Web GUI on the primary MyBookLive. It was successfully removed/deleted. Then I attempted to recreate a safepoint from scratch; but it runs into the exact same problems.

Here’s the details on the MyBookLive machines that I have:

Primary Drive
MyBookLive 02.42.02-012 : Core F/W
Sun 21 Apr 2013 08:31:16 AM EDT
Usage 1.6 Tb of 3.0 Tb (just over half full)

Backup Drive:
MyBookLive 02.42.02-012 : Core F/W
Mon 22 Apr 2013 07:55:12 AM EDT
Usage 1.6 Tb of 3.0 Tb (just over half full)
This contains only the safepoint for the primary NAS. There is nothing else on this NAS.

On the scheduled or manual update of the backup I will get the following emailed to me:
"
Following events are generated on your MyBookLive .
Event title:There was an error updating your safepoint.
Event description:2 - There was an error updating your safepoint SafePointBackup on the Public share on MYBACKUPLIVE.
Severity:warn
Event code:1102
Event time:04-24-2013 09:09:34 AM

Firmware version: 02.42.02-012
"

If I run an update manually through the Web GUI, in addition to the email I will get the following message box that will show up (after a little while)
“36323 - Your safepoint could not be updated successfully due to a failed request. Please try updating your safepoint again.”

If I look in the NAS.LOG from the “Create and Save System Report” I see something that might be a clue, but I don’t know how to diagnose it further:

Apr 29 01:26:52 MyBookLive logger: ERROR: CopyHandler(262): Failed to obtain the total size & no of files
Apr 29 01:26:52 MyBookLive logger: ERROR: CopyHandler(287): Failed Copy Dryrun from ‘/DataVolume/shares’ to ‘/media/WDSAFE/cf0cae887b0194b26cd3adbf4f752294//_WDPROT/WDSAFE/SafePointBackup/shares’
Apr 29 01:26:52 MyBookLive logger: ERROR: SafeptRunHandler(992): cf0cae887b0194b26cd3adbf4f752294: Failed to complete Safe-Point Pre-Run
Apr 29 01:26:53 MyBookLive logger: ERROR: SafeptRunHandler(345): cf0cae887b0194b26cd3adbf4f752294: Safe-Point Run Failed
Apr 29 01:26:58 MyBookLive logger: ERROR: safeptExec(1027): OUTPUT Status: FAILED; Failed to obtain the total size & no of files
Status: FAILED; Failed to obtain the total size & no of files

I’ve seen a few other problems that are similar listed in the message board, but I haven’t seen any solutions. Anyone got any ideas?  Or even any where else that I can look to find any additional diagnostic steps?

Hello. I have basically the EXACT same problem. Have you found a solution for this? You did an excellent job documenting the problem so I won’t write it all out again. It really sounds identical. I’ll just list some key points.

My drives are two 6TB My Book Live Duos (both spanned to use the full 6 TB). One is my NAS and the other is used only as a safepoint.

The safepoint took five days to create and updated successfully every day for about a month.

I started getting the same message, “2 - There was an error updating your safepoint LiveDuoBackup on the WDBackup share on MYBOOKBACKUP.” starting May 13th and every day since. I also let it happen for a couple days to see if it corrected itself before I started to look into it.

If I try to update it manually, I get the message, “36323 - Your safepoint could not be updated successfully due to a failed request. Please try updating your safepoint again.” If I try again, it fails.

I thought of deleting the safepoint and recreating it too but I don’t want to after reading your post. It sounds like it will take another five days to create, only to fail.

The safepoint on the second drive does seem to include all my data. I’m considering doing a factory reset on my primary NAS drive and then restoring it from the safepoint but I was hoping to hear if you’d found a solution before I try that.

1 Like

Nope, I’ve had no luck with this at all.  I submitted a support ticket through the WD support site, but that was a couple of weeks ago and they haven’t even acknowledged it yet.  I’ve seen a few more instances on the message boards about similar problems but I haven’t seen anyone else have much luck troubleshooting the safepoints.

The only way forward that I’ve been able to figure out so far is to SSH into the box and try and figure out what’s happening from the Unix command prompt; but I don’t have the faintest clue at where to start on that.  Until I can someday get a better familiartiy with Debian Unix and the rsync command I’ve essentially written off the safepoint features on these boxes.

I hope you have better luck than me.

We had the exact same issues with our MyBookLive 2TB units.  Our problems occurred after we installed the new WD Media Patch over our Twonky server.  Then after dissatisfaction, went back to the default Twonky patch as the WD media server patch could not recognize all of our files. 

Some users think that there is an unrecognized or abnormal file name that perhaps samba is not recognizing and generates errors in the log.  Just so you know, we did not change any of the data on our primary drive.  After following these steps, you should be able to backup your primary drive just as successfully as we have.  We are certain that there is a corruption of some sort, perhaps within the media patch - hopefully WD will develop a quicker solution soon.

Before you start, make sure that both drives have the exact same firmware and is the newest firmware.  We also made sure that both drives contained the same media server and version (twonky or WD - whichever you choose) before we started this process.

…and as always, you are performing these steps at your own risk - be careful not to delete any data on your PRIMARY DRIVE!

Step 1:  Log into your primary MyBookLive drive, select safepoints, and delete the safe point that is currrently giving you errors. Log out. As a precaution, you could also power down the primary drive, just so you don’t get confused and delete data that you shouldn’t - just sayin.

Step 2:  Log into your backup drive, choose settings > general.  Make note of your device name and description.  The idea is to completely reset the backup device, so write down all your settings that you want to keep.

Step 3:  Now choose settings > utilities > factory restore > Full Factory Restore.  Remember this is your backup drive, NOT the primary!

It could take up to several hours to perform a secure and full factory delete.  You should plan to leave the browser window open while this task is performing.

After the backup drive has been restored, log back into that device.  Note:  On our network, we have our MAC address for this device reserved with a specific IP in our router, so when this device communicates with the network, we automatically know which IP address is leased to this drive.  It’s up to you to know your device’s IP address to log back in.  Resetting back to factory, might also use default IP parameters, depending on our own DHCP settings.

Step 4:  When you reach the Web User Interface page of the backup drive, the device will allow open access (no password required).  Now would be a good time to set the password if you so choose.

Step 5:  Choose settings > general, and replace your device name and description with your choice.  Although not absolutely necessary, we also make sure that both Time and Dates are set the same on both the Primary and Backup drives.

Step 6:  Settings > network > workgroup, make sure both devices match the same workgroup.  Now choose settings > remote access > configure, we like to have this setting unchecked (disabled).  This is a backup device, login should be restricted to your local LAN or  intranet.

Step 7:  Settings > media > Twonky, uncheck (disable) the media server.  Again, this is your backup drive and this feature should not be used.

Step 8:  Shares > create new share, now create a new share that is going to contain all your data from the primary drive. 

The name BACKUP is reserved by your device, so choose something else for example; DataBackup.  You don’t need a description, unless you want to and this share name is NOT sharing media, so choose NONE from the drop down menu. 

Then choose PRIVATE user access - Admin will appear (check this) and make sure the first bullet is marked, indicating “Grants the user full access to this share”.  NOW SAVE.

As soon as the drive shows your new share, then you have finished reconfiguring your backup drive, and are done - log out.

Step 8: Log back into your primary drive, choose safepoints > create > discover.  A search will now begin looking for backup devices on your network.  Choose the name of your backup device that you created earlier.  Now choose the share name, example DataBackup.  Click the Create Now button.  You will be asked for the login information of that share; it will be the same password used to log into your backup device (if you set one earlier), usename is Admin.

Step 9:  Now choose a name for your safepoint, example AllData.  It will also ask if you want to perform automatic updates, and at what intervals - we choose everyday at 4 am (our primary files change many times per day)  This setting is totally up to you.  Now proceed and choose to start the new backup immediately.  While the pop up window is open, you have the choice of Cancel or Run in Background - we chose Run in Background. 

That is basically it, unless you cancel your backup, it will succeed.  Be aware, that depending on the amount of data on your primary drive and your LAN connection speed, it could take hours or even days for this backup to complete. 

One last note: If you have Alerts & Notifications set under Settings on your primary drive, you should disable them until the backup has completely finished - otherwise you will receive alerts indicating that the safepoint was not successful, until it actually does complete.  You can also choose to ignore them if you prefer to keep the alerts enabled.

During the backup process, you can log into your primary drive at anytime to check on the progress.  Once you reach the Web User Interface page, a pop up window will take several seconds or minutes to appear, and will provide an update to the percentage left - be very patient (walk away and come back in a few minutes to see the updated percentage).  If the backup has already completed, you will receive a notification (if your alerts and notifications are enabled) or you will see a notification in the upper right hand corner of your Web User Interface screen.

1 Like